What can be smoked during work?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
i believe that deserves some 
points.gif

Smoked a tri-tip last night.  Dinner got done a little later than I wanted because the MES just wouldn't come up to the right temp.  I was wanting to smoke at 210 but the MES wouldn't get about 185.  Anyway, results were still pretty good!

Took meat out of smoker when it got to 128.  I allowed it to rest ~30 minutes then threw it on a smoking hot grill for a reverse sear. 
dvuong, where you said the temp wouldn't get above 185* .... do you know what your shelf temp was?

The reason I ask is because that is the way my Gen 2.0 did at times in that I could have the controller set at 215* and the controller would read 185* - 195* and never get any higher, but my shelf thermometer would read 225* - 235*, so I learned to always use a shelf thermometer and set the controller for 25* - 30* lower than I wanted the shelf temp to be

dvuong, where you said the temp wouldn't get above 185* .... do you know what your shelf temp was?

The reason I ask is because that is the way my Gen 2.0 did at times in that I could have the controller set at 215* and the controller would read 185* - 195* and never get any higher, but my shelf thermometer would read 225* - 235*, so I learned to always use a shelf thermometer and set the controller for 25* - 30* lower than I wanted the shelf temp to be
I don't pay attention to what the controller temp says, other than what I set it at.  The shelf temp wouldn't get over 185*.  Towards the end of the smoke, it was dropping down to 175-180*.  

I don't pay attention to what the controller temp says, other than what I set it at.  The shelf temp wouldn't get over 185*.  Towards the end of the smoke, it was dropping down to 175-180*.  
Did you try to raise the controller set temperature in order to increase the shelf temperature?

Did you try to raise the controller set temperature in order to increase the shelf temperature?
Yep. I originally set to 200, then raised to 210.  There was no rise in temp.  I guess I could have kept raising, but that kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it?  That would mean that's almost 40 degrees difference.

Smoked a tri-tip last night.  Dinner got done a little later than I wanted because the MES just wouldn't come up to the right temp.  I was wanting to smoke at 210 but the MES wouldn't get about 185.  Anyway, results were still pretty good!

Took meat out of smoker when it got to 128.  I allowed it to rest ~30 minutes then threw it on a smoking hot grill for a reverse sear. 

This looks very, very good. Bet it tasted even better.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky