Wet cured 24 hour Dried Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks! I cured three pieces from the 6.36lb. EOR which is rather large pieces without injecting cure but wanted to see if the cure went through, otherwise back in the cure till throughout. A boneless pork loin doesn't need injected cure so the similar shape size of the EOR is what I went by. After cutting the three chunks into six pieces to check for cure penetration, even though successful, I'll cure them as shown above in the future, being between 2-3" for at least 14 days.

So how did you check for cure penetration, Kurt?
I had two guys giving me crap last week, trying to say you can't tell if the cure got to center or not, just by looking at it. Funny how I've been looking & finding out with every Bacon, CB, BBB, and Dried Beef for over 9 years, and teaching hundreds what to look for, and now I got a couple of geniuses telling me I can't do that. Oh Well.

Bear

I had two guys giving me crap last week, trying to say you can't tell if the cure got to center or not, just by looking at it. Funny how I've been looking & finding out with every Bacon, CB, BBB, and Dried Beef for over 9 years, and teaching hundreds what to look for, and now I got a couple of geniuses telling me I can't do that. Oh Well.

Bear
There maybe quite a few threads with Pops post of the pic and explanation in post #2 in this link. and another thread from snorkelinggirl, Do I need to inject brine into a 2-3 " thick pork belly for bacon curing? Post #5.

Bear
This is the thread I remember the most with the uncured pic. This one didn't say if the pic was raw or cooked so I assume raw but the other same pic said cooked. I figured when raw and cured the color tone would be even throughout and there would be a contrast with an uncured center. page 6 post #101.

I actually had this on one of my venison pieces that I cut into this weekend, wasn’t a very thick piece of meat but perhaps one of the thicker ones in the whole batch. Cut into it and was surprised and confused, but KNEW something wasn’t right. I pitched it and was upset but didn’t want to take the risks. Glad I got to see that picture in that post to reassure me I was correct in throwing it out.

I cut into the largest piece when testing for the cure and just assumed all were good. I’m a beginner in this so there are always things to be learned.

This is the thread I remember the most with the uncured pic. This one didn't say if the pic was raw or cooked so I assume raw but the other same pic said cooked. I figured when raw and cured the color tone would be even throughout and there would be a contrast with an uncured center. page 6 post #101.

Exactly!!
That's even the picture I stole, and I thought everybody understood that by now, but apparently not. I explain it in every Step by Step I've made of Bacon, CB, BBB, and Dried Beef, over the last 9 years. I know everybody who followed any of my Step by Steps knows all about it, just like you do.

Bear

Thanks. They are about gone. Looking for sales for eye of round. Butts are on sale for $.99/lb. And boneless pork loin $2/lb. May have to just get butts. Loins go lower and I'm low on freezer space.

Thanks. They are about gone. Looking for sales for eye of round. Butts are on sale for $.99/lb. And boneless pork loin $2/lb. May have to just get butts. Loins go lower and I'm low on freezer space.

99 cents---Sheeesh!!
We never get Butts under $2.
I just got a Pork Loin @ $1.37.
Also never see Eye Round under $4 any more either!!

Bear

• Haha
Reactions: LamontCyrus
99 cents---Sheeesh!!
We never get Butts under $2.
I just got a Pork Loin @ $1.37.
Also never see Eye Round under $4 any more either!!

Bear
It's been a few years since I've seen butts $.99/lb or lower. EOR is $5/lb.

Reactions: LamontCyrus
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky