Wet cured 24 hour Dried Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dr k

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 22, 2013
Peoria, IL
Lots of dry cured dried beef threads so I thought of doing a wet cured dried beef thread. Smoked in Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse at 140*F 13 hours with a full tray of Todd's A-maze-n Apple pellets with the AMNPS in a mailbox mod. I don't know how long it took to burn the tray of pellets but after 13 hours I ramped to 150 for an hour, then to 160 a few hours, then 170 a few hours and 180 to finish in an hour at 155-157 IT for a 24 hour smoke/drying. I did the digging dog farms wet brine cure with cure #1 for 14 days minimum with an Eye of Round cut into thirds. Went 16 days in the cure till I had the time, then rinsed and paper towel dried and peppered, then into the fridge a day, then the 24 hour smoke/drying, then back into the fridge a day to rest before slicing. Nice not too smoky of a flavor but could have been with non fruit wood so I'll stick with the full tray for fruit woods and drop to two rows or full tray with saw dust or more on stronger wood flavors. It is tasty stuff. Great SOS, sandwiches, cheese ball, pickle roll with cream cheese and pizza topping. The end pieces after slicing is cured peppered jerky. Pics below.

Reactions: xray and jcam222
Cured
20191123_083245.jpg

Smoked/dried
20191125_092148.jpg

Sliced
20191126_111103.jpg

Last edited:
The EOR was Certified Angus Beef brand at $3.99/lb. with little to trim and surprisingly tender. It does look like a cured boneless pork loin since the shape is very similar but with more pointier ends. I wanted more smoke for the thin slices, therefore an entire tray of apple pellets. It is very good and a good smoke flavor and I'll do it again. I wanted this to not cook at a high temp so went longer at lower temps .

Nice work . I have one in the cure now , dry rubbed TQ and some reaper powder .
Been wanting to do a wet cure / injected method , so thanks for posting . That looks great .

Nice work . I have one in the cure now , dry rubbed TQ and some reaper powder .
Been wanting to do a wet cure / injected method , so thanks for posting . That looks great .
Thanks! I figured I'll try a plain dried beef with black pepper and go from there. I'll try a spicier piece down the road.

Reactions: chopsaw
That is a nice color all the way thru Likes
Richie
I would be making some cream of beef with that.

Reactions: jcam222
Looks super tasty. I think that next up on my list after 45 lbs of pork curing is done.

That is a nice color all the way thru Likes
Richie
I would be making some cream of beef with that.
Looks super tasty. I think that next up on my list after 45 lbs of pork curing is done.
Thanks! The SOS cream gravy was great with the dried beef. I brought some to my parents over the holiday and my mom fixed a sandwich with it before she new what it was. She likes it a lot that way and so do I but she's not a big cream or sausage gravy fan.

Reactions: jcam222
That looks great. I am hoping to get some venison to make some. I am OUT!!

Looks Just right, Kurt!!
I usually take mine to about 160° to get it the way I like it.
Much lower seems to me to lose the Dried Beef texture & nears regular Beef lunch meat, and much higher gets too dry for me.
I never did it Wet Brine, but yours looks Great.
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

That looks great. I am hoping to get some venison to make some. I am OUT!!
Looks Just right, Kurt!!
I usually take mine to about 160° to get it the way I like it.
Much lower seems to me to lose the Dried Beef texture & nears regular Beef lunch meat, and much higher gets too dry for me.
I never did it Wet Brine, but yours looks Great.
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear
Thanks guys! I was shooting for a lower longer smoke/drying without getting the smoker above 180. So a little longer duration than Bear's and a little shorter than PC farmer's. I read Bear's dried beef step by steps and PC Farmer's wet brine cure but I missed the specifics on smoking/drying, temp ramping and durations on the wet cure 30+ hour thread so I settled on 140 with light smoke the first twelve hours and ramping slowly the second twelve hours to 180.

Thanks guys! I was shooting for a lower longer smoke/drying without getting the smoker above 180. So a little longer duration than Bear's and a little shorter than PC farmer's. I read Bear's dried beef step by steps and PC Farmer's wet brine cure but I missed the specifics on smoking/drying, temp ramping and durations on the wet cure 30+ hour thread so I settled on 140 with light smoke the first twelve hours and ramping slowly the second twelve hours to 180.

I tend not to be very detailed on my posts.. sorry

That’s some good looking dried beef Dr. I think I need to revisit SOS, because I remember avoiding it when I was a kid....but a lot of stuff I didn’t like back then, I like now.

Like!

That’s some good looking dried beef Dr. I think I need to revisit SOS, because I remember avoiding it when I was a kid....but a lot of stuff I didn’t like back then, I like now.

Like!

I don't blame you:
I avoided "SOS" in the Army, because SOS is made with Ground Beef.
However I have always loved "Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast" which is made with Dried Beef.

Bear

Like!
Thanks! I avoided SOS when I was younger because the dried beef was too salty but that flavored the basic cream sauce. Kinda like forgetting to soak/rinse the corned beef before making pastrami.

Thanks for the carousel ride.

That looks amazing! I did Bear's TQ cure on some venison hams and it turned out wonderful. I'm almost out and I'm saving for a very large batch and I'm going to go with the wet brine cure this time.

That looks amazing! I did Bear's TQ cure on some venison hams and it turned out wonderful. I'm almost out and I'm saving for a very large batch and I'm going to go with the wet brine cure this time.
Thanks! I cured three pieces from the 6.36lb. EOR which is rather large pieces without injecting cure but wanted to see if the cure went through, otherwise back in the cure till throughout. A boneless pork loin doesn't need injected cure so the similar shape size of the EOR is what I went by. After cutting the three chunks into six pieces to check for cure penetration, even though successful, I'll cure them as shown above in the future, being between 2-3" for at least 14 days.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky