went and did it. new rig on the way and need specific mod recommendations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
hey y'all
sorry if this is not the right spot for this. thanks for all you help and guidance up to now. I've been getting by with a vertical dynaglow stick charcoal smoker for 3 years.
I hve it dialed in ,but wanted/needed some more real estate. after much guidance I've settled on an OKJoe reverse flow highland. wasn't my first choice but it was my billfolds choice. if y'all could indulge me a couple of"brand" questions I sure would appreciate it.
It's going to drive me nut waiting for it to get here. I'd like to order some of my extrasb3fore it arrives.
first: what is the best lid gasket brand as far as adhesion and longevity? I've read and watch many reviews and they don't all seem as good. (I'll get the RTV sealant for cracks locally. I've read some pretty lackluster reviews on the gasket the OKjoes sells as their brand.
Second: do all or most lid thermometers have the same screw threads so i can add a second one? I'll only use them for approximates as I will add a grommet port for my multitude of thermopro thermometers cables for meat temps.
also any idea how much lenth I'll need for a highland lid and heat boX?
I'm sure there will be more questions. I've become quite accomplished with my old dynapro
pictures attached for attention only
thank you all for your patience
John Wheeler
Ft Lauderdale

Attachments

• IMG-2387 (1).JPG
    IMG-2387 (1).JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-1593 (1).JPG
    IMG-1593 (1).JPG
    216.7 KB · Views: 15
Nice!!!

As far as the threads go they should be 1/2'' NPT threads/ Iron pipe threads.
When you order your thermo's make sure to buy the nut for the thermo in case the ports aren't threaded and just a hole drilled into the lid.

I highly recommend these thermo's because they are adjustable, so once a yr you take them out and do the boiling water/ice water test on them to make sure they are calibrated correctly.
They are pricey but well worth the money and the company will be there for you in case you ever need them.

Good luck with your new smoker.
Dan👍

I find most silicone sealants to useless long term, plus they stink when they get hot enough.
I would avoid automotive related sealers and look for fireplace/firebrick sealants at Homedespot or Lowes, they go to 2000 degrees and will stay around longer.
My Lavalock sealing felt tape works well but I think they all wear out after a few years.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Nice!!!

As far as the threads go they should be 1/2'' NPT threads/ Iron pipe threads.
When you order your thermo's make sure to buy the nut for the thermo in case the ports aren't threaded and just a hole drilled into the lid.

I highly recommend these thermo's because they are adjustable, so once a yr you take them out and do the boiling water/ice water test on them to make sure they are calibrated correctly.
They are pricey but well worth the money and the company will be there for you in case you ever need them.

Good luck with your new smoker.
Dan👍

I will double down on what forktender forktender said here. Tel-Tru's dials are the ONLY one I will recommend. I have found that the one on my X-Fire build is SPOT ON!

Second, before you add a gasket you may try to just use it. With you in a hot climate adding a gasket may not be needed. IE if it works don't fix it..... If you want a gasket the ones that go on the Green Eggs may work nicely. There are many brands, I just grabbed the link to the first one that came up on amazon....

PS Edit, grommets are nice for the digital temp probes but usually the lid has enough of a gap that you just have them go under it.

thank you all. my premature OCD on smoke leaks and un-neccessary air intake will have to wait until it gets here and the seasoning/christening commences.I think I will forgo the grommets for now. on the display unit at Blowes you could blow out birthday candles through the gap in the cook chamber lid.

Don't let me kick start your OCD.......I'm not sure you have room to drill and bolt on some toggle clamps to "hold" the lid down vs a gasket. This it the direction I went with my copper pot build. At least its something to think about as an option. If you have room you could also add some on the fire box lid. But again, use it first and see if it works. As long as its not in direct wind a little leaking won't be a big deal.
CopperPot2.jpeg

tonights yard bird done "porta-pit style on my old dynaglow. (you have to be from Northern indiana to get it.

Attachments

• IMG-2445.jpg
    IMG-2445.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 7
Don't let me kick start your OCD.......I'm not sure you have room to drill and bolt on some toggle clamps to "hold" the lid down vs a gasket. This it the direction I went with my copper pot build. At least its something to think about as an option. If you have room you could also add some on the fire box lid. But again, use it first and see if it works. As long as its not in direct wind a little leaking won't be a big deal.
View attachment 500372
those are on my radar. can buy locally if necessary.

My first offset was an Oklahoma Joe Highland with forward flow. There is plenty of room for the toggle clamps should you decide to get them. With the lid closed I looked for the largest opening/crack from the cook chamber which was about half way up. That's where I put my clamps.

By the way, it only gets worse from here. Pretty soon you'll be wanting a bigger smoker or building one yourself.....:emoji_laughing:

Can't speak for TruTel's (too rich for my blood) but a lot of door analog thermometers are 1/4-20 thread...about 4X smaller than half NPT. I'd research and order the thermometer and wait on drilling or tapping any holes until you have the actual product in hand.

Can't speak for TruTel's (too rich for my blood) but a lot of door analog thermometers are 1/4-20 thread...about 4X smaller than half NPT. I'd research and order the thermometer and wait on drilling or tapping any holes until you have the actual product in hand.
You don't have to tap the hole most decent thermo's will supply a nut or sell you one.

You don't have to tap the hole most decent thermo's will supply a nut or sell you one.

like this.....

Or this....the GT300R is the one I recommend!!! It’s cheaper than a digital and just as accurate and less than one messed up brisket.... on a budget the one above but not as accurate but better than any other of the others....

nut.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky