Well they were right, lots of ash!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
Got ready to smoke the brisket and realized I didn't have enough pellets to even begin the smoke. OK, ran down to Rual King and found Lumber Jack hickory, whew! Brisket turned out fine but oh man was there ash! Never seen that amount after one smoke. I usually can do 2-3 long smokes before needing to clean things out with the ash-vac. Guess with these it's going to be every time.

• Wow
Reactions: crazymoon
I love the LJ pellets and get zero ash but I'm also reducing them to dust and burning them in an Amazen tube in my MES and that's a completely different thing than a pellet grill!

Last edited:
So, who makes a 100% Flavor Wood Pellet that's low ash?...JJ

Reactions: SmokingUPnorth
My go to pellets now for many years has been BBQr's Delight, definitely low ash but do not believe they are 100% hickory based. Regardless, the flavor produced is great and I like the low ash results. Really couldn't tell any significant difference in flavor with the LJ, just the increased ash. On the positive side, the LJ are cheaper per lb.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I've used Traeger, Lumberjack, and Bear Mountain pellets as fuel in the pellet pooper and in the smoke tube.
I don't notice any significant difference in the ash.
A pellet pooper should blow most of the ash out the chimney regardless of the brand.
Position the smoke tube to the side of the chamber and most of the ash blows out the chimney as well.
So, who makes a 100% Flavor Wood Pellet that's low ash?...JJ
Lumberjack is the only brand that I have used that is 100% up front on flavor wood content in the pellets.
Local product and I get it on sale a couple times a year

Well if its 100% hickory how could anybody make it low ash without adding something ? or subtracting something? I will stick with LJ no matter the ash amount, running higher temps will decrease the amount of ash in the cup as it wont allow it to build up as much, lownslow lets it build up, know your machine ane run it the same temps to really test your theory

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky