Well THAT was interesting...my truck busted a ball joint!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SherryT

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Crawford AL
Had to make a run to town today for chicken feed and to WM for a return. I decided at the last minute to take the long way to my feed store even though I wanted to get home a bit quicker (my love of driving those country backroads won!) and I guess it was a good thing I did.

When I went to turn right onto Hwy 80, all of a sudden, POW, and the driver's side of my front end dropped as if I'd ran into a DEEP pothole. Got out, took a look, and part of my front end was laying directly on the pavement.

Called my insurance for a tow and 3 hours later (the longest it's ever taken!) me and my truck were home. BIL says it's the ball joint, so as soon as this cold snap passes, he'll replace them.

All I can think about, though, is what would have happened if I'd been doing 55 - 60MPH when that happened! Perhaps not as bad as I imagine, but part of your front end suddenly hitting the ground at high speed CANNOT be conducive to health and long life!

I am SO DONE with 2022...enough already!

Glad your ok!
Seen that happen to a FedEx truck in my yard, happened by the garage as he was backing out to leave . moments later UPS showed up , delivered and left, so it was a double wammy to FedEx that day.

Reactions: SherryT
I am SO DONE with 2022...enough already!
You and me both Sherry!
Actually my 2022 started December last year. We've both lost a lot of our lives this year?

Lost a tie rod end on my pickup ... twice. That result in a rogue tire that doesn't steer.
First time was low speed and it was hard to get off the street and into a parking lot. (I replaced it the next day.)
Last time was at highway speed with a turn onto a side road and luckily the tire stayed with me until I got to the shoulder. Also replaced the next day, but not before many people saw my truck on the roadside.

Glad you're OK as well!

Just curious...have either one of you two been rude to those nice people calling about your vehicle warranty? :emoji_laughing:

Lol, JK...I can't stand them either!

Ryan

• Haha
Glad you made it home Sherry. Busted car/truck on a lonely back road ain't fun at all. Hopefully it's a cheap and easy fix.

Glad you're OK as well!

Just curious...have either one of you two been rude to those nice people calling about your vehicle warranty? :emoji_laughing:

Lol, JK...I can't stand them either!

Ryan

I hear ya!

That reminds me, just an FYI...NEVER ask an online insurance "broker" (?) to send you a quote! I was getting 20+ calls a day for WEEKS!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Glad it was fairly uneventful and that you came out unhurt. I've seen some hairy rides after a ball joint lets go ..........

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky