Weisswurst for dinner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
I did a small batch of Weisswurst a couple of weeks ago and just got around to using some yesterday.
ground.jpg whites.jpg dinner.jpg
I used equal parts Chicken breast, Eye of Round and Pork loin instead of Veal and Pork belly instead of Jowl. No emulsifying, just a double grind.
I'd forgotten how much I like this sausage!
It looks a bit dry in the pic but it wasn't and it had the smooth, spongy texture we like.
Thanks for looking and keep on stuffing!
Dan

Would there be any reason not to use a mix of lean pork and fatback in place of pork belly?
I've seen a number of recipies call for pork belly, but that just seems too valuable a cut to grind up into sausage to me

Would there be any reason not to use a mix of lean pork and fatback in place of pork belly?
I've seen a number of recipies call for pork belly, but that just seems too valuable a cut to grind up into sausage to me
I suppose you could, or bump up the meats and just use fatback. When I trim the edges of a belly to square it off to brine for bacon I always have a few strips of belly left over and save it. The recipe I used for a start calls for pork jowl and I thought I still had some but I didn't, so belly it was. The recipe actually mentioned belly as an alternative to jowl.

Reactions: kuroki
That's a sausage I've never heard of but it looks great. From the sound of the ingredients, I bet it is outstanding. Very nice Dan....very nice.

Robert

Reactions: SmokyMose
Looks killer! Weisswurst is easily my fave. SmokyMose SmokyMose I am like you and the eat my plate mixed up mostly so you're not weird. I think that's how the folks in Germany do it too (difference is WW is typically for breakfast for them). For the uninitiated, WW is likely the mildest sausage you ever had. I have to drive like and hour to find and it's like super gourmet delicacy and near $20/lb.

Looks killer! Weisswurst is easily my fave. SmokyMose SmokyMose I am like you and the eat my plate mixed up mostly so you're not weird. I think that's how the folks in Germany do it too (difference is WW is typically for breakfast for them). For the uninitiated, WW is likely the mildest sausage you ever had. I have to drive like and hour to find and it's like super gourmet delicacy and near $20/lb.
There's a German meat shop on the south side (Clause's) that I used to go to about once a month. The aroma was just heavenly when you walked in the door. They were cash only and I made sure I never had more than $40 on me LOL! They had it labeled in the case as bratwurst and once I got some we were hooked! I didn't realize it was Weisswurst until I started making sausage and looking at recipes. They weren't cheap then and I can't imagine what they cost now.
Haven't been there in a couple of years, but I keep thinking about their "Holiday Loaf".
I don't know if they're even open anymore.....

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky