Weekend cook (PIC HEAVY)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
I cooked up a storm this weekend and left some seriously good eats in my wake. For starters I did some Wisconsin style lentil soup. No pics as lentil soup looks bad. :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:

Then it was on to brisket. Got a full packer from GFS for $2.99/lb. I separated the point and flat. Point and trim is ground beef. This trim was strange because there was really no fat line between the point and flat. I just followed the membrane as best as I could. The trim came out quite nice.

Brisket flat trimmed up.

brisket 1.jpg

Brisket seasoned with Maggi and Jeff's Texas rub. Ready for the pit. Used mesquite chunks for smoke.

brisket 2.jpg

Black Cat DC PID controller running the pit.

brisket 3.jpg

Mop time

brisket 4.jpg

Brisket pulled at 195 F IT

brisket 5.jpg

Good flavor, good smoke ring, could be a bit more tender. Really good but wouldn't win a contest.

brisket 6.jpg

Next I was on to pizza in my wood fired stone oven.

Getting the oven fired up...

pizza 1.jpg

Most of the carbon has been burned off the firebrick lining. Roof of oven is over 1000 F right now.

pizza 2.jpeg

Pizza baking in the oven.

pizza 3.jpeg

This pie is ready to slice

pizza 4.jpg

Leftovers

pizza 5.jpg

S'mores anyone? The oven did a perfect job on those marshmallows.

pizza 6.jpg

The mighty Odin comes for a visit.

pizza 7.jpg

Lastly, can't waste that good heat from the oven. Time to pop a chicken in there...
Delicious. Just Jeff's original rub and some butter and lard in the bottom of the pan.

chicken 1.jpg

Thus ends my weekend cooking adventure...

Thanks for viewing..

JC :emoji_cat:

I cooked up a storm this weekend and left some seriously good eats in my wake. For starters I did some Wisconsin style lentil soup. No pics as lentil soup looks bad. :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:

Then it was on to brisket. Got a full packer from GFS for $2.99/lb. I separated the point and flat. Point and trim is ground beef. This trim was strange because there was really no fat line between the point and flat. I just followed the membrane as best as I could. The trim came out quite nice.

Brisket flat trimmed up.

View attachment 466523

Brisket seasoned with Maggi and Jeff's Texas rub. Ready for the pit. Used mesquite chunks for smoke.

View attachment 466524

Black Cat DC PID controller running the pit.

View attachment 466525

Mop time

View attachment 466526

Brisket pulled at 195 F IT

View attachment 466527

Good flavor, good smoke ring, could be a bit more tender. Really good but wouldn't win a contest.

View attachment 466528

Next I was on to pizza in my wood fired stone oven.

Getting the oven fired up...

View attachment 466529

Most of the carbon has been burned off the firebrick lining. Roof of oven is over 1000 F right now.

View attachment 466530

Pizza baking in the oven.

View attachment 466531

This pie is ready to slice

View attachment 466532

Leftovers

View attachment 466533

S'mores anyone? The oven did a perfect job on those marshmallows.

View attachment 466534

The mighty Odin comes for a visit.

View attachment 466535

Lastly, can't waste that good heat from the oven. Time to pop a chicken in there...
Delicious. Just Jeff's original rub and some butter and lard in the bottom of the pan.

View attachment 466536

Thus ends my weekend cooking adventure...

Thanks for viewing..

Good looking food!

Reactions: JC in GB
Nice . Didn't know you had the wood fired oven . That's awesome .
The chicken looks fantastic .

Yes, I built it a few years ago. I wish I used it more. It is a lot of fun to use.

WOW and Holy Smokes...literally. Of course ya just gotta love that oven. That is amazing but the food is simply superb. Excellent job JC.

Robert

Wow!! Awesome Wood-fired Oven!!
And Great looking Vittles!!
Super Nice!!
Like.

BTW: I love the Kitty---
Odin has the same Eyes as "My Smokey".

Bear

Damn, that all looks awesome, I'd give a nut to have that pizza oven in my yard. I'm a wood fired pizza freak.
I love cooking pizza on wood fired ovens the high heat and smoke make the pizza in my book.
Did you build the oven yourself?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky