Weber kettle question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buckeye02

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 26, 2020
Ohio
Hello all,
I have a few questions for some of you charcoal guys. This is more geared towards grilling though. I'm grilling on the 26". When I originally bought it, it was used more for smoking. But I've been grilling my chicken for the week on it on Sundays. I've got the big weber chimney. I let it get good and hot and then spread the coals even across the bottom. I cook a pack of thighs and breast so I utilize most of the grilling space. The problem I'm having it unless I'm using the S&S or vortex I have a hard time getting the grill hot. It'll normally hit around 350-400. Without having to use more charcoal is there anything I could be doing different? The vents are wide open top and bottom? Would a 22" get hotter?

Reactions: JLeonard
Not a vortex driver but I do have a small fleet of Webers.
My advice is, more charcoal, more heat.
You might also look for the Pro Comp version of Kingsford briquettes.
They really do burn hotter and longer.

Attachments

• DSC00515.JPG
    DSC00515.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 37
A 22" will get hotter because it has less area to heat up. A couple of idea's come to mind. First try laying a single layer of unlit across the charcoal grate and dump the lit on top of those. Another thought is to try using lump. The irregular shapes help it burn hotter by allowing more airflow thru the coals.

A full cooking grate of chicken on a 26" kettle. Now that's a lot of chicken.

Chris

A 22" will get hotter because it has less area to heat up. A couple of idea's come to mind. First try laying a single layer of unlit across the charcoal grate and dump the lit on top of those. Another thought is to try using lump. The irregular shapes help it burn hotter by allowing more airflow thru the coals.

A full cooking grate of chicken on a 26" kettle. Now that's a lot of chicken.

Chris
Yea it sure is! I started keto a month and a half ago for a weight loss comp at work. Not big on fish of any kind so chicken it is and lots of it! Their not packed together on the grate either though. I'm gonna try the lump this weekend and see what that'll do! Starting to kick around the idea of a performer. I'd just like real world experience on if the gas assist lighting actually works or if the chimney is still the way to go

I've got the big weber chimney. I let it get good and hot and then spread the coals even across the bottom.
My thought is you're leaving it in the chimney to long , and using up part of the charcoal before it even sees the chicken .
I dump mine when the bottom of the chimney is started , and the top is half is just white around the edges .
Like Chris said add some raw charcoal to the kettle and pour the lit on top .

That's normally what I let it get to before I dump it. Should I dump it earlier than that?

Attachments

• 20220102_131654.jpg
    20220102_131654.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 37
That's normally what I let it get to before I dump it. Should I dump it earlier than that?
For a 22" kettle that would be fine. For a 26" not so much. The bottom coals are mostly used up by the time the top coals are ashed over.

Chris

Reactions: Buckeye02
Maybe dump that a little sooner . It takes more charcoal than you would think , especially for chicken parts .
All good points above . Light the chimney like you show , put some thought into the charcoal you're using and add some to what you light .
This is a 22 . Dumped the chimney then I poured some on top and let it light in the kettle . I used that much to do 5 thighs .

1650284192426.jpeg

Chris has a good point with the lump . I always keep a bag around , so I can add it when I need a heat surge .

Alright awesome thanks guys! I'll dump it sooner AND try lump this weekend. I've never tried lump

Reactions: gmc2003
It sounds like Travis already has the Vortex and SnS. I read his original post as he's wanting to use the whole cooking grate for grilling chicken over direct heat.

Chris
Yea that's what I'm trying to accomplish. The vortex is great for skin on chicken. But grilling boneless skinless thighs and breasts I just want direct heat for all the chicken. If I'm doing just a few pieces I've turned the vortex upside down and used the sns. But I'd rather throw it all on at once and call it good

Yea that's what I'm trying to accomplish. The vortex is great for skin on chicken. But grilling boneless skinless thighs and breasts I just want direct heat for all the chicken. If I'm doing just a few pieces I've turned the vortex upside down and used the sns. But I'd rather throw it all on at once and call it good
I understand your dilemma. . .I suppose you will have to use more charcoal.

Sorry I can't be of any more help than that,

John

Reactions: Buckeye02
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky