Weber Charcoal Heat Diffuser

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dirtfishingman

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Lowell, IN
I tested out the new Weber Charcoal Heat Controller today. After Seeing Tom Horsman review on it. I was kind of disappointed that the heat diffuser came in 4 separate sections. I was on the fence on getting a vortex and the heat beacon diffuser... then one drunk night just ordered this.

I called weber and talked to a representative there and was super cool because when u buy online inorder to return it you can not use it. I wanted to see if they would allow me try it out first and they were like try it out and he wanted feedback. I then expressed on why it was so close to the grate. He said no need for a pan they want to use the diffuse like the flavorizer bars like all the other grills.. which make sense. But I modded my preformer to have the grate level with the rim just for my liking.

Anywho.. set up a snake that I know it would last 6 to 7 hrs for the test. I will tell u if I pack them in I could prob do a 13hr± cook no issues and if I needed longer u legit lift the grate and diffuser and add them no problem...

I ran my pit viper fan and fireboard 2 and used the battery only and ran 7hrs no issues and had 60% battery left. The fireboard 2 is so worth it.

The middle of the grill ran 225 the whole time.. where the snake was lit ran 240 to 250ish and the rest of the grill was 225 to 235ish. For me that's acceptable I know it's not going to be 225 everywhere but definitely can fit more and use my whole grate unlike my slow n sear.. but not knocking the Slow n sear it's easy.. holds temps like this and can add coals and wood easy... but I lose that quarter of the grill. With this the whole 22 grate is usable.

Next trial is the weber cone for wings or quarters I think.. enjoy the video hope it helps.

BTW 99.99 is the cost and shit it's only money.. I got my preformer for 25 bucks and probably got $500 in add ons

Attachments

• 20230323_134849.jpg
    20230323_134849.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20230323_193043_FireBoard.jpg
    Screenshot_20230323_193043_FireBoard.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20230323_202229_FireBoard.jpg
    Screenshot_20230323_202229_FireBoard.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230313_130106.jpg
    20230313_130106.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 31
Appreciate the write up. As you mentioned, at least you can use the cone for "vortex wings" That will certainly be handy.

I'm kinda on the fence on this one. I already have a Vortex, and I don't know if the diffuser plate is worth the $100 it would cost. I do like my gadgets though.

Yeah, I actually bought a 19" pie pan for around $20 (found out later the Weber version is 18", apparently). No need to cut the hole if I put the charcoal on the outside of the vortex as far as I can tell. Seems to me it potentially would work better than the Weber version since it would keep cold air from sucking up into the food area. Haven't tested it yet, though.

Yeah, I actually bought a 19" pie pan for around $20 (found out later the Weber version is 18", apparently). No need to cut the hole if I put the charcoal on the outside of the vortex as far as I can tell. Seems to me it potentially would work better than the Weber version since it would keep cold air from sucking up into the food area. Haven't tested it yet, though.
I was going to do that but drunk purchase lol

Reactions: Marknmd
That's kind of the direction I was thinking. Let us know after you test it out.

Reactions: Marknmd
Let us know how it runs, would cost me the controller and fan , no vortex here as I use the baskets when needed. the rotisserie needs to come first though for me

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky