Webber Smokey Mountain Question...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

monctynj

Original poster
Apr 27, 2011
Hey Everyone,

My wife and I bought the WSM Cooker about a month ago and thanks to help I've received from so many of you on this forum we have been having a blast making some of the tastiest dishes we've ever had!  We truly enjoy every aspect of it...from setting it up and getting the temp just right to experimenting with different woods and meats.  And of course, lounging in the backyard with an ice cold beer while we watch the kids run around and play as we enjoy the aromas  that eminate from the smoker! 

My question is this...can you use beer in the bowl that hangs just below the bottom grate in the WSM instead of water?  Or maybe a combination of beer and water to add flavor to, say, a whole chicken that I'm going to smoke this weekend?  Just wondering if any of you have ever done that??? 

Thanks, Everyone!

Sure you can! Many people use a liquid other than water. Some say that the flavor doesn't penetrate the meat. I used to use apple juice, in my GOSM, and never noticed a lack of flavor after switching to water so I almost have to agree that it was a waste.

One thing against using beer is that it, due to the alcohol, will have a lower boiling point than water. Why does this matter? I'm glad you asked. It matters because a lower boiling point means that it will conserve/store less heat thus your recovery time will be longer (slower recovery). Now, I have never boiled beer so I don't know the boiling point (and it depends on the alcohol content) but alcohol boils at 172. Now you may be thinking that 212 to 172 isn't that much of a difference, and I agree, but it could make a huge impact depending on your other variables.

So, to more directly answer your question, yes, you can use beer but some will argue that there is no point and/or that it will hinder your smoke.

Last edited:
Same as Twig, I have tried several different juices in the pan & haven't noticed any difference in flavor. Also if you have a 22.5 the water pan holds 3 gallons. I think I'd rather drink the beer.

I am with Al and the rest of the guys... drink the beer and if you want the flavor in your whole chicken than stick a can in it... you will get the flavor in your chicken than with only 12oz LOL

Sacralige! Drink that beer!
devil.gif

Water in the water pan..... but if you have a pan on the bottom rack to catch drippings and you are going to use the drippings to make a sauce or something then put beer, apple juice, ect. in that pan. The water pan is there just to act as a heat sink and help maintain a steady low temperature.

Got it...thanks, fellas!!!!

It's nice to know there are people out there who are looking out make sure no beer is wasted!!!!  Thanks again!!!

I soaked two chickens in Orange Juice, thyme and rosemary. I didn't want to waste the juice and I most certainly will not drink it, so I put it in the pan. No problems with the heat, or flavor. 

PRyan, That's a different story, you got some Marinade already, use it can't hurt. But the point is creating some special Magic Brew just to put in the water Pan is a Waste...JJ

I am in the group that thinks the flavor will not be picked up by the meat if you just use beer in the water pan.  Better to use that frosty beer to keep the chef from overheating IMO!!!   I do use a spray bottle to spritz pretty much everything I smoke in my WSM towards the end with beer, whiskey, apple juice, pineapple juice or whatever (I think you can see I switch out often).  That flavor does show up in the bark or glaze created towards the end of the cook and if it is a liquid with a sugar base, it helps form a denser bark.  Just don't let it burn if it has a lot of sugar.

Just walked in off the porch after spraying two 9 pound pork shoulders with pineapple juice before I typed this.  18 hours in on a low and slow smoke over a flower pot base in the WSM and stalled at 180* (go figure).

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky