We have the meats!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buckeyedude

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 5, 2018
I needed to clear out some meat from the freezer, so....im going to ball all of Saturdays "meat projects" into one thread and figured the wild game forum was the right spot for them all. So it might be kinda long....
Started off with phase 1 of a 10 breast batch of goose pastrami and 4 fresh (killed Friday morning) goose breast for a shot at some goose prosciutto .
20230128_133352.jpg

We cut up our own deer, and save gallon freezer bags in our freezer filled with the grind pile until the end of season and have sticks or whatnot made with them. So I took all of the grind bags to a new processor right around the corner from me to give him some business (it's a kid that my boys want to school with) and to check out his set up and see how well his products were. Well, he texted me that it was ready and I swung by to pick it up.
20230128_160033.jpg
20230128_160149.jpg
20230128_160317.jpg
20230128_160419.jpg
20230128_160726.jpg

He did a great job, neat tasty and vacuum sealed! Got 22lbsof sticks with cheddar, 22lbs of sticks with maple syrup and hot pepper cheese, 22lbs of cheddar summer sausage , 22 lbs of hot pepper cheese summer sausage and whatever was left he ground up and packaged as burger for me.
At the same time, I mixed up 3 different flavors of jerky at 2 lbs each and got that going.
20230128_184851.jpg
20230129_164736.jpg

Had to feed us some "real food" , so grilled up some deer brats, loins and I gotta say, that summer sausage is the bomb after getting kissed by some heat!
20230128_195845.jpg
20230128_200113.jpg
20230128_194204.jpg
20230128_200301.jpg

Almost done..... Mixed up a double batch of venison sausage and made that to take to the fellas at work.
20230129_165427.jpg
20230129_165433.jpg

If anyone would like the recipe for this sausage, just say something. I'll post it up. It's super easy and really good!

Hell yea bud, we love wild game… don’t care if it flies, runs or swims… huge fans of all!

Nice thread… all that looks damn tasty!

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Hell yeah! All looks great! Big fan of wild game here too. I've been going through the freezer as well cooking/making stuff in preparation for our big processing day coming up in about 3 weeks.....

All looks good...

I know that freezer was full with all that...
Thanks! We are blessed with the abundance of deer around us and the quality sportsman that I have raised! lol!

Hell yeah! All looks great! Big fan of wild game here too. I've been going through the freezer as well cooking/making stuff in preparation for our big processing day coming up in about 3 weeks.....
Thanks! Been keeping an eye on that post! You guys have a great thing going there!
Im super jealous of you guys waterfowling opportunities down there lol!

All looks awesome! Times 2 on that recipe as well... still lots of venison in freezers.

Ryan

Ok fellas, here is the recipe

3 lbs of ground venison
1 tsp liquid smoke
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
3 tbsp morton tender quick
2 tsp mustard seed
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 cup cold water
Mix ingredients well, roll meat into cylinders about a pound each. Wrap each one with aluminum foil (shiny side in). Refrigerate for 24 hours. Place rolls on a pan ( i think it helps to have them sitting a rack above the pan, but do whatever). Poke a few holes on the bottom of each and place in pre heated oven @ 325 for an 90 minutes.
This is the base recipe. You can alter the ingredients to your liking or just to spice it up some. Pork of beef trimmings can be added if you like. Ive done it with pork sausage added and it really stepped it up a level. I do suggest trying a batch without first though, just to experience the natural flavor it has! Enjoy!
PS, I also suggest if you do more than one batch, to mix then up separately.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky