Way "over cured"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a really long stupid question

Why does anyone use or recommend Tender Quick for proper curing if the package instructions are faulty, the proper instructions are discontinued and the nitrite to nitrate ratios are not a time proven #1 or #2 cure?

I have a really long stupid question

Why does anyone use or recommend Tender Quick for proper curing if the package instructions are faulty, the proper instructions are discontinued and the nitrite to nitrate ratios are not a time proven #1 or #2 cure?

Because it's been working Perfectly for me for 9 years now, and My Dry cured TQ products taste better than any other method I've tried. IMHO

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
Bear

I bow to your answer. Yes I am sincere and wasn't trying to insult you.
You have taken the time to extensively research methods required to safely use TenderQuick (TQ) as a cure for meat along with a smoke (not cook) processing of meat products.
I hope that readers follow your recipes and NOT deviate the process unless they have found other safe methods.

I worry about the people that go loose cannon to think TQ is a replacement for pink salt.

-John

Bear

I bow to your answer. Yes I am sincere and wasn't trying to insult you.
You have taken the time to extensively research methods required to safely use TenderQuick (TQ) as a cure for meat along with a smoke (not cook) processing of meat products.
I hope that readers follow your recipes and NOT deviate the process unless they have found other safe methods.

I worry about the people that go loose cannon to think TQ is a replacement for pink salt.

-John

Thank You!
I never took anything you said as an insult in any way.
Many of us try to make sure people know the difference between TQ & Cure #1.
I think it gets covered pretty good on this forum.
If the whole process is done properly with TQ, there isn't a strong salty flavor.
However, like I said, if someone needs a diet of much lower than normal sodium intake, and can't limit their portion size of Bacon, like I do, it would be a good idea to switch to Cure #1 & adjust the salt content in their mix.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky