Water Pan In Offset Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jtucker

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 23, 2013
AR
Hi everyone-
I just picked up my first offset smoker (horizon 16in). Not totally new to smoking, but I am brand new to the non electric world...I've never used charcoal/lump etc ever (on any cook). I will no doubt be learning a lot over my next few cooks. I mostly cook ribs because they are my favorite, but I've dabbled in other bigger cuts. I always used the water pan in my MES, which generates lots of humidity. So here is my question...is it recommended to use a water pan in a steel offset like mine? I'll be adding juice to the foil during 221, but generally speaking (not just ribs), is water recommended or no?

Last edited:
Lot of folks use a waterpan. Lot of folks don't. The best advice is probably try both ways. Cook ribs with no pan first, next time try the pan. Some people foil ribs, some don't. The honest answer is both sides can build a case for their styles. Personally, I never used one. I'm a big spritzer. A lot of people say the waterpan helps give a more even heat. When I smoke ribs I'm at around 275 (even though I may be cooking them....some here will remember that humor) and I've pretty much learned to build my fire and work my vents to keep a constant temp. Good luck with your new unit. I really like cooking on an offset. Thumbs Up

This is one I picked up from Dutch.

He tried the different tricks to help even out temps on the CGSP.  He settled on a mini loaf pan of water below the cooking grate where the firebox joins the smoking pit.

It helps with spikes in temp when adding fuel.  With that and the extended chimney mod, my temps run within 5 to 10 degrees across the grate.

I use disposables from the dollar store and I can use it a few times before having to replace it.  The beer can gives you an idea of the size.

A big thanks to Dutch for this trick!

Good luck and good smoking.

Last edited:
Well, it was to me...recommended that is and it has helped even out the temps so theres not as much of a hot spot...I really like the results. I use a large foil pan with water. 

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. If the smoker is seasoned properly, shouldn't be concerned about the humidity in the steel chamber right?

I use one as a drip pan to catch the drippings.
Keeps the plate clean and the drippings make a great base for finishing sauce.

Yes, I also use disposable drip pans without water beneath the cooking grate to keep the mess to a minimum. They can be reused a few times between changing them out.

For saving juices, a little water in them doesn't hurt, but they have to be new ones for saving juices.

The drip pans, even dry, when carefully arranged, also help to even out temps across the grate.

When not saving and using the juices, the disposable drip pans need to be changed out more frequently than the mini loaf pan with the water in it. Otherwise you can collect rancid grease below the cooking grate.

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky