Was guessing when the meat was done.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alan Maples

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 27, 2022
Not anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_20220928_113414590.jpg
    IMG_20220928_113414590.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: BigW. and Newglide
Not anymore.
Nice!

Just remember that cuts like Pork Butt, Ribs, Brisket, and Chucks are all done by tenderness/feel.

The temp tells you when to start checking for tenderness.

It is tender when you can stab with something like a kabob skewer and it goes in with no resistance or very very little resistance.
Ignore this tenderness fact at your own peril for those cuts of meats and ones just like them.

I'm looking forward to see what you make with the new temp probe in hand! :D

I'm probably going to smoke Boston butts next. Stupid auto-correct wants me to smoke a Boston terrier. 😂

I'm probably going to smoke Boston butts next. Stupid auto-correct wants me to smoke a Boston terrier. 😂
Nice!
I have now started checking my pork butts for tenderness around 202-203F degrees these days.

They are so big and round that they are a good test for stabbing ALL OVER to check for tenderness. Sometimes I find like one little area in a rando spot that is a little tough and just wait another 2-3F degrees for temp to raise until it tenders up.

I'm all good at that point!

Looking forward to seeing your pork butt :)

Terrier runs a little lean...... nevermind.......

With a new therm (and even after you've used one for a while) do the boiling water test to see how true it runs - and keep in mind sea level will be a factor of the water temp if you live in the hills. I do ice water tests too. I've had probes out of the box be off as much as 10 degrees at 210. Of the 2 I have in rotation now, one is a couple of degrees off. 2 degrees isn't a big deal, but 5 can be if you are temping chicken or pork to 'just barely done' as I call it. The brand I use now has been very durable (Inkbird) vs the brand I used to use (Maverick)

Reactions: JIMSMOKES
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky