Vortex Ribeye

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
I'm usually a sous vide guy when it comes to steaks, give a ribeye a 127º bath and then sear it with a weed torch. I've been doing quite a bit with my Vortex lately so I decided to skip all the water and time and see what a straight shot over the red hot Vortex could pull off. I cut all my ribeye steaks 1&1/2" thick, boneless, off of the subprimal. Seasoned the ribeye with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, 1 minute 45 seconds a side right over the vortex. It was smokin'!
DSCN1865.JPG

While it rested on the counter I smashed up a couple of taters I'd boiled to death with some sour cream and butter, made a Ceasar salad.. First slice told me all I needed to know, winner winner ribeye dinner.
DSCN1866.JPG

This was everything I look for in a steak. With the deep sear and a rest this ribeye had a rich beefy flavor and ideal texture. I USED to be a sous vide guy. Thanks for lookin' in. RAY

Good looking meal Ray. Using the Vortex is sure addictive. It is one of the better purchases that I have made.

I hear that Denny, my only regret is that I didn't order one sooner! It's worth the price just for what it can do with chicken wings and legs, I really liked the thighs I did with it also. When I do sous vide there's a lot of juice left in the bag when I go to sear. Using the vortex all the juice stayed in the meat. I thought this ribeye had superior flavor and a better texture than any I'd ever sous vide, 100 seconds a side and done exactly the way I like. Thanks for the Like Denny, I appreciate it. RAY

Great lookin steak. I like my vortex, but still learning to use it.

Yeah, I am too PC. You can turn them upside down and move them off to the side to do different indirect cooks, they really open up what can be done on a kettle. With this and the SnS my offset is just sitting there like a big worthless lump. Thanks for the Like PC, much appreciated. RAY

Nice meal . I like mine mooing too . Go the next step and do the same , but use some red oak burnt down to coals . Gives beef a great flavor .
I could eat a plate full of those taters too .

Reactions: sawhorseray
Nice meal . I like mine mooing too . Go the next step and do the same , but use some red oak burnt down to coals . Gives beef a great flavor .
I could eat a plate full of those taters too .

The coals had some leftover hickory in the chimney when I loaded it up and dumped them into the Vortex, loads of smoke when I put the ribeye on. I used to leave the skin on when I'd do taters like this Rich, these had been sitting for awhile so I peeled them, the sour cream and butter make 'em hard to beat. Thanks for the Like Rich, I do appreciate it. RAY

Looks Great Ray!!
That Vortex is a Steak-eater's Best Friend!!
I would never put a Ribeye or Prime Rib in my SV. They are already tender, and they do nothing for the Fat.
SV is for Lean & tough meat, such as Eye Round, Bottom Round, etc, etc.. IMHO
If I had a Grill with a Vortex, all of my Ribeyes would be visiting it.
Like.

Bear

Last edited:
Excellent looking steak Ray. So much can be done with the Vortex - your just now starting to scratch the surface. I'm looking forward to your next adventure.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks Great Ray!! That Vortex is a Steak-eater's Best Friend!! I would never put a Ribeye or Prime Rib in my SV. They are already tender, and they do nothing for the Fat. SV is for Lean & tough meat, such as Eye Round, Bottom Round, etc, etc.. IMHO If I had a Grill with a Vortex, all of my Ribeyes would be visiting it. Like. Bear

I believe you are right on the money Bear, I'll save the sous vide for the tough stuff. Thanks for the Like Bear, I appreciate it. RAY

Great lookin' meal Ray! I just did a ribeye (which I will post later) this week to but did fried taters and onions with it. Mine was a bit more done than yours though.... :emoji_laughing: LIKE! John

I was thinking fried shrooms and onions John but didn't want to fire up the kitchen stove, it was 112º on the back patio in the shade yesterday. I've got a camp stove set up on the patio and boiling a pot of water for the taters looked easy, and was. Next week I've got a little Blackstone griddle like Roberts showing up at my door, that'll make cooking on the patio a lot easier without having to slop up a bunch of pots and pans. Maybe Robert will teach me a trick or two! Thank you for the Like John, I do appreciate it. RAY

Ray that steak is perfectly cooked man! Nice red center and great sear on the outside don't think you could have done any better. Big LIKE my friend!

I gotta tell you John, I was getting a little tired of having them come out a hair more done than what I wanted, this will now be my go-to steak method. Thanks for the Like, John, much appreciated. RAY

A farm boys dream meal...perfectly done steak and potatoes, nice job Ray! Salads are good too, if there's not any meat and potatoes left :emoji_wink: Ryan

It's always nice to have a veggie on the plate if for no other reason than to add some color to the presentation Ryan. When it's 112º out slaw or salad will get the nod just about every time. Thank you for the Like Ryan, I appreciate it. RAY

Cooked perfect, well done!

Thanks Tander, I was happy with a lucky guess on the time needed for this one! RAY

Now that's my kinda Meal Nice Job !! Gary

Mine too Gary, I could eat that dinner 4-5 nights a week, and did in a younger day! Thank you for the Like Gary, much appreciated. RAY

Excellent looking steak Ray. So much can be done with the Vortex - your just now starting to scratch the surface. I'm looking forward to your next adventure. Point for sure Chris

It was your posts and advise that got me to ordering the Vortex Chris, one of the best culinary investments I've ever made. Thanks for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky