Victorinox slicing knife, granton or not?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tds73

Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Southwest Michigan
I tried searching this, but maybe I was not using the right wording. My question is, get the granton or smooth?

Looking at the fibrox 12". The non-granton is about half the price of the granton. Anyone tried both? is it really worth the extra money for the granton? Looking to slice bacon, brisket, etc. Would it be wiser to save some coin and just get the smooth version or is the granton worth the extra?

I can't speak for the granton, but I love my smooth Victorinox. Good choice on getting the fibrox handles as well. Inexpensive knives, but they hold such a sharp edge if taken care of. Buy yourself some slip covers if you store in a drawer.

I love my Granton Slicers and the Granton Santukos. The dimples allow the meat to release from the blade and not stick. This is especially handy for brisket, bacon and other thinly sliced meats.

Have you ever tried the same knife without the granton to see if it really makes a difference having the granton?

I don't mind spending the extra money if it is worth it, but it is twice as much to get the granton style.

No, I've not used the exact same knife with and without, but I've done enough meat slicing with a flat edged chef's knife that I know the granton edge is working well.  There's a reason people happily pay the extra money for the granton edge...  

You guys that are using the Fibrox handles...

Do you find that the handles fall off the tang eventually? 

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Victorinox 12" granton edge slicing knife. But I'm leaning towards the rosewood handle because I like riveted tangs and handles. 

I have a 12" granton dexter-russel that is my go to slicer. I never have problems with meat sticking to the blade. I use the granton slicer over my 8" victorinox chef's knife for all my slicing. As for the fibrox handles, I have used an abused my 8" chef's knife and it still looks brand new. I love the handle on it. 

Haven't had my Victorinox long enough to gauge the durability of the handle, but I have a couple other knives with similar handles that are perfectly fine after twenty years of ownership.  

Given they have a lifetime warranty and that I don't put my knives in the dishwasher, I'm not concerned about it.

I am going to go ahead and spend a little more and go with the granton. I hate buying things twice. 

Just did not know enough and that is why I asked if it was really worth it. 

Now the question is, 10", 12" or 14"?   kind of thinking, just go with the 14", it is only a couple dollars more and I am thinking the extra couple inches should not get in the way and will fit in the drawer.

Dang, 14" is starting to approach sword length...

I'm going for the 12" myself. Easier to store and transport. And I have been making due for the past 14 years with an 8" slicing knife, so 12" will be nice. 

I would go with the 14". There have been plenty of times while using my 12" that I wished I had the 14" to make life easier. When you are trying to slice things like bacon being able to make long smooth cuts provides the best finished product. 

Both handles are great in my experience. I would go with the largest that will fit where you need to store it.

I just bought the Victorinox 12" granton edge slicing knife with the Fibrox handle this week. Have cut up two full briskets with it and it slicing through brisket like a hot knife through butter. I love this thing. The blade is 1.5" wide and is wicked sharp. Now I have to find a place to store it, and some sort of cover for the blade. 

Last edited:
Slicing knives??
icon_eek.gif

Here I've been using my breaking knife and sticking knife for everything the last 10 years
roflmao.gif

The sticking knife is getting down there, I got these in 2005 and used them heavily when I worked at a meat packing plant the first ~year.

Fibrox handles are nice. Never tried a granton edge slicing knife. I use my breaker for slicing and never had anything stick that I've noticed.

Good luck with whatever you choose, you'll be happy!

I went with the 14". It appears to be awesome in looks, feel and sharpness.  I have not had a chance to use it yet. I will report once I get a chance to put it to a test.

I went with this guard also,

I noticed that if you look on Amazon, at the knife you bought, in the frequently bought together section they have a guard for that one that is less money also.

Years ago I bought a magnetic wall strip for about $20, and all my knives and steel live there, works great, super handy, and looks nice on the wall.

As for the fibrox handles - there is a reason you see them in all the restaurant kitchens - they hold up very well over time. Bang for the buck the Victorinox with the fibrox handles are a great way to go and will last for many, many years.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky