Very Simple Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimalbert

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
Lehighton, PA
I have what appears to be a simple question, but as it unfolds may not be.  I have been smoking for the better part of 2 years and have done everything completely successful except for one thing.  Beef Sticks.  I will start this thread with the fact that when I buy beef sticks from my local butcher (and I love them), they are moist and very good.  I have tried multiple recipes (including Bearcarvers - and I have done other recipes that bearcarver has done successfully), but every time I do beef sticks, they are super dry.  I would like to mention that when I get my beef sticks from the local butcher they are very soft.  If i were to pick one up and bend it over my finger, I could break it and it would look almost like raw beef.  I would almost have to assume that the guy does them in a water bath like hotdogs but I cant be certain.  I guess my main question is: if i use cure in my beef sticks, and smoke it for lets just say 4 hours at 150, what would be the harm?  The cure is taking care of any malicious bacteria, so why does the meat have to reach 165 or so?  Am I totally screwed up in my thinking?  Please let me know because I am dying for a good batch of beef sticks.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Speaking from experience, it's really easy to make smoked products overly dry if you base your recipe and procedure on smoking at x degrees for y hours.  What I like to think about is how much smoke do I want to apply to the meat, and what final internal temperature do I need to reach. 

Regarding smoke, it takes less time under a heavy smoke for meat to pick up great flavor than you may suspect.

For example, with beef sticks (snack sticks) made from groung beef, I believe the USDA recommends a safe internal temperature of at least 160 degrees.  Thus, have you considered smoking at a higher temperature for a shorter amount of time until the sticks hit the right internal temperature, and possibly even using a water pan in the bottom of your smoker to supply some humidity.  Also, the fat content of the ground meat you use can impact how dry your sticks will be.

Good luck!

Scott Phillips

Star, Idaho

I made a large batch of beef sticks using the high-mountain kit.  They were drier than those ones in the store, but when looking at what I used for the filling, and what a commercial place uses I think where the difference comes from is the fat content.  I used chuck roasts and a couple other pieces from the freezer, and probably had maybe 10-15% max fat content.  Where the stores have at least a 30% fat content.

Now with that said, I didn't have anyone complain about the fact it wasn't greasy and soft, and they went over like a free-beer sign in the window.  Now, while they were more dry/less moist, they were still fairly soft.

Great, now I wan't to make more.

What kind of smoker do you have and what is the temps you go thru what casing are you using this is the way I go hope it helps

try a different brand also like Hi country or Lem or PS Seasonings and see how them come out.

80-20 beef or elk deer mixed with a little pork like unseasoned pork sausage

stuff into collegen or natural 19or21mm or so casings

if you stuff and let sit over night I lay them out at room temp for 1hr

to the smoker pre heated about 115*

dry them no smoke no water for 1hr

up 10*-15* every hr add smoke and water.

till you get smoker temp to 170*

I check the sticks from the top and once they

get to 152*IT take them out no bath, just let them

bloom at room temp for about 1hr or so then to the fridge.

after 1 day I cut and vac pac them or zip lock them

Hope this helps

Happy smoking

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky