Very briefly started a brine in an aluminum pot - am I okay?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rzdh

Original poster
Feb 17, 2023
I am making pastrami. I started making my brine liquid in an aluminum pot (about 10-15 minutes), but, before it boiled, realized that I couldn't brine in aluminum so I transferred it over to a stainless steel pot to boil and am now transferring it over to an igloo cooler. Is this okay? Or is any aluminum contact dangerous? Am I okay brining in an igloo cooler?

Reactions: JLeonard
As for the aluminum I would say your ok, as for the cooler not sure, is it made from food grade material. I'm sure more knowledgeable people will be around.

Agree with Jim on the aluminum pot. As for the igloo cooler you are ok as well. Igloo coolers are bpa free and considered food safe. Post up some pics of your finished product and drop by roll call to introduce yourself. We love meeting new people

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky