vertical vs horizontal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigal80ak

Original poster
May 4, 2020
why does everyone seem to pick up or recommend the horizontal over the vertical?
it seems you get much more room for smoking meat for the price with vertical?

Horizontals were first to market as well. Traeger pretty much established the pellet grill market and never brought out a vertical model to my knowledge.

I'd also add that a horizontal puts your work at a standard bench height. Cleaning and tending a vertical is harder on your back...and this is supposed to be relaxing, right?

Plus pulling out racks on a vertical (compared to just lifing a lid) creates a mess with fats/sauces on your shoes and concrete.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Yeah ... while I like my (electric) vertical for some things, cant fit a full rack of ribs or packer on one grate..
Even my BGE is too small for that as the edges extend past the deflector and dry/overcook.

Been on the verge/fence to add a 590 or 700 to my herd (That would then need to be thinned). Just nowhere to put it until I either reorganize garage or add onto the deck ... planning both ... too damn many projects.

Reactions: TNJAKE
I have a MES40 and a Pit Boss 1000SC. I prefer the Pit Boss personally as the fuel is wood. ( Not the argument here but hang with me) I like it for the space sideways for larger smokes. Still love the MES40 for other smokes.

every time i ask a question i feel more confused on which to get.
so if i am just interested in making good smoked meat and having some decent room. Not interested really in grilling.
do you think a vertical or horizontal would be a better choice?

thanks for all the good replys i really do read and consider them.

I can appreciate that. As a recovering engineer, I drive my wife nuts with all the analysis machinations I go thru on most of our big purchases.

Just like cars, boats, tools, speakers, etc ... there is no perfect jack of all trades. It’s why most of us have multiple cookers, or you make intelligent compromises.

You can/will make good smoked meat on either (let alone all the other styles/fuels - electric, propane, charcoal, kamados, Offsets, etc etc). Since you seem to have settled on pellet one way or the other, it does simplify the pro/con list.

You will not fit a whole packer brisket on a vertical, maybe not even an uncut rack of ribs depending on the model ... if that’s important you go horizontal.
You will not sear or grill in a vertical ... if that’s important you go horizontal.
Usually think you will get more space for the money with a vertical.
A vertical might be somewhat more fuel efficient (though maybe not by much, not sure)
Others may weigh in with any other factors I’ve missed.

Good luck ... at some point you just close your eyes, throw the dart, and go with it. You’ll be happy.

Reactions: noboundaries
The pitboss series 5 and series 7 are large enough to put a full packer in it. The louisiana vertical I have (same as the pitboss series 7) you can get one on each shelf.

Reactions: Jp101977
Thanks for the replys. I think I narrowed it down the horizontals seem to have less problems.
I am looking at z-grills 7002b. 407$
Z-grills 6002b 345$
Pit boss pro 500$
Pit boss classic 400$
Cuisinart woodcreek 497$$
Any opinions?

"Pellet dump"is an easy way to remove all remaining pellets in the hopper (excepting those already in the auger). I use it every time, because I always purge out the auger before putting it away. (I've removed the finger guard to make it even easier.) But I get the impression most people just leave the pellets in the auger when storing their cookers? If you're one of them I'm not sure the pellet dump is a real positive feature?
Unless you like to use different pellets in each cook so you want an easy way to remove the previous, now undesired, flavor. E.g. in my other smokers, I strongly prefer apple for fowl, exp turkey. But in the pellet grill I stick to the stronger woods for everything and really don't mind if the Traeger Hickory gets mixed with the Pit Boss Competition Blend.
I guess my point is, what's important to others might not be important to you.
I'd add that just good general Customer Service, in addition to Warranties, can be very important too. That's something it pays to study threads like this to get a feel for.

i have also been reading and watching videos most seem to say there is more smoke flavor with vertical?
and that horizontal are more for getting some smoke flavor while grilling and not quite as good at smoking as vertical?

Vertical smokers are where it's at. Smoke and heat doesn't want to move horizontally. If your grates aren't big enough, hang the meat. Ribs especially are better when you hang them anyway.

Vertical smokers are where it's at. Smoke and heat doesn't want to move horizontally. If your grates aren't big enough, hang the meat. Ribs especially are better when you hang them anyway.
Oh ... that’s a new one to me, not sure I’ve seen (m)any threads about hanging ribs. That’s an issue I have with my electric, so far, just halving and using 2 grates.
There is a vertical temp differential In the vertical (department of redundancy department) so think i might need to flip it over at least once(?). And obviously need to stop well short off FOTB tenderness :emoji_astonished:

Others doing/trying this?

Lots of drum smokers and WSM owners hang ribs. You do have to pull them before they fall apart. I have a vertical offset and I prefer to hang them.

Anyone got a recommendation for a vertical pellet smoker? I can only find 2 and the pit boss series verticals have a lot of bad complaints about the electrical board throwing constant errors and being unusable

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky