Venison summer sausage blooming question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hangmanli

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 2, 2017
Long Island, NY
Hello,

I haven't been on here in a while. I just did a 25 lb. batch of Summer sausage that was 50% venison & 50% pork. I have used the LEM package with the cure inside. I use a Bradley smoker with the Amazin smoke tube with apple flavored pellets. I got the internal temperature up to 160 degrees with the hot water bath. Then it went into the ice bath.

I had to go to work today. In the past I have let the sausage bloom for @ 2 hours. Then it went into the fridge. Then I would cut it up into sections and vacuum seal the sections. Then put them in the freezer.

My girlfriend left them blooming for over 12 hours. I got home and I was furious. Can leaving the summer sausage out that long cause a problem? I have put 90% of it in the freezer and vacuumed sealed. I tried a taste test from the rest (in the fridge) and I cannot detect anything that tastes like it could be spoiled. Should I be worried or not about the summer sausage being left out blooming for over 12 hours? It is in 2 1/2" fibrous casings.

Thanks for any helpful advice.

Last edited:
I would make your girlfriend eat a pound or two and see what happens! only kidding, I would say since it's cured you should be alright, but maybe one of the pro's will chime in.

I'm sure it's fine because it has cure in it and you eat it and aren't puking. :emoji_laughing:

Next time only cook to 145 and rest at that for 10 minutes or more. It will be more moist. I don't ice bath anymore with only cooking to 145. So you smoked it and then boiled it?

Also train the girlfriend better from now on. :emoji_wink:

Reactions: hangmanli
I smoked it to @ 135 degrees. Then I did the hot water bath. Probably only got to @ 150° or so. Then I did the ice bath. Then they should’ve been hung out to bloom for two or three hours.

I have another post which is active about problems I’ve had with the Thermo pro TP-20. Having problems with some of the remote functions. Also inaccurate probe readings. One of the other guys in the forum told me to put them in the oven at 250° for one hour. That fix them (after this last smoking session).

Don’t worry the girlfriend knows NOT to let them bloom for no more than 2 or 3 hours.

Thanks!

Last batch I did , I let it hang 7 days in my basement at 60 degrees . I take mine to 152 . I wouldn't think you have a problem , but good to be cautious .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky