Venison snack sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
what did you use for heat source to get the consistent temp? and what did you use for the poles to hang them on?

Last edited:
what did you use for heat source to get the consistent temp? and what did you use for the poles to hang them on?
for the poles I bought wooden dowels from Home Depot and they fit perfectly. Didn't even have to cut them.

I've gotten really good at maintaining low temps in my Lang. The key is lump charcoal and wood chunks. I start with a chimney full of lump, get it hot and add to the firebox. Then I just add small amounts of lump as well as wood chunks and that seems to work perfectly.

for the poles I bought wooden dowels from Home Depot and they fit perfectly. Didn't even have to cut them.

I've gotten really good at maintaining low temps in my Lang. The key is lump charcoal and wood chunks. I start with a chimney full of lump, get it hot and add to the firebox. Then I just add small amounts of lump as well as wood chunks and that seems to work perfectly.
thanks, I too had to use coal and chopped pecan log slivers basically. I did a bologna run that took 18.5 hrs. a couple weeks ago and pretty much needed to keep adding light coal every 30 min or so to keep the temp between 160-170 but mine is only a 60D

Reactions: 73saint
18.5 hours at that low a temp? Man, that's a lot of fuel I bet! How did the bologna turn out?

18.5 hours at that low a temp? Man, that's a lot of fuel I bet! How did the bologna turn out?
made a full batch and have half a stick left. gave a bunch away for people to try as it isnt very common out here. everyone liked it. I have enough seasoning for another 25 pounds so just need time. Yeah i was chopping logs at 2 am like a tweeker in the back yard trying to make them small as not to spike too bad

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky