Venison Snack Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bertman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
Heartland of America
I'm using a kit I ordered from Curley's Sausage Kitchen: Cody's Snack Stick or Pepper Sticks. I ordered this to meet a minimum order when I ordered their venison bacon kit a few months ago, so I've never tried it. Since I'm never happy with sausage kits, I had to doctor it. I added three minced fresh jalapeños (picked minutes before), one LARGE minced clove of garlic, 1T garlic powder, and 1/8 c brown sugar. The garlic and jalapeños were added to the cubed meat. Meat and jalapeño/garlic was ground once through 1/4" plate, blended, then ground again through 1/8" plate. Meat is approximately 65% venison and 35% pork butt.

I know I'll catch flack for this, but I have no shots of the mix or stuffing. I went fishing yesterday morning, and had little time to get the meat ground, mixed, and stuffed. I regretted as I was stuffing that I hadn't documented it better.

IMG_20180613_105244397_HDR.jpg
After an overnight in the fridge, I'm smoking today. Dried for two hours at 130.

Temp bumped up to 155 and added pecan chips and cherry pellets in the A-MAZE-N tube in my mailbox mod.
IMG_20180613_112952062.jpg IMG_20180613_112955265.jpg

I'll try to remember to update throughout the day.

I did fry up some leftover meat after stuffing. The flavor was too good to describe. The wife mentioned that she never eats the snack sticks, but she's looking forward to these.

Removed them from the smoker and into a cold bath a couple of hours ago, and now they are drying a little in the fridge. I'll package them tomorrow. I used a couple of different casings, and liked the smaller ones better.
IMG_20180613_163111564.jpg IMG_20180613_162959305.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky