Venison Sausage & Snack Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Deer fat out here carries the gamey taste and is just unpalatable to eat. It has a different consistancy and just feels like it greases your mouth. A little tendon in the grind or canning, no big deal, but fat, oh no!
Our whitetail get a lot of fat on them. Especially early season. Ive cut 1" or better off many deer. Although here they have all the corn and soybeans they can eat... Young does I leave the fat. Its incredible how much diet can change flavor. I dont feel the deer around here have much of a game taste at all. Old bucks I'm pretty picky when processing but thats about it.

Heres a little fat trim from one
1203162218a.jpg

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
Our whitetail get a lot of fat on them. Especially early season. Ive cut 1" or better off many deer. Although here they have all the corn and soybeans they can eat... Young does I leave the fat. Its incredible how much diet can change flavor. I dont feel the deer around here have much of a game taste at all. Old bucks I'm pretty picky when processing but thats about it.

Heres a little fat trim from one
View attachment 516474
Nothing like that here in TX, they don't have to get fat for the winter with it not being so cold and genetically don't get as big bodied to survive the winters. There is a term for how animals in colder climates generally build more mass to survive but I can't remember what it is. In any case it is the opposite in warmer climates lol.

sounds almost like we need a shooting sub-forum for wild game. :emoji_laughing: Before we take this thread over hill and dale with different subjects.

I'd totally be down for a hunting, harvesting, & foraging type sub thread.
Kind of covers everything for hunting, trapping, and just getting food from nature. I think the mushroom guys use the vegetable forum but could totally post in a hunting, harvesting & foraging forum. Same for those that shag wild berries and tree nuts and such. I swear my mother is obsessed with going out and foraging pecans wherever she sees them hahaa. She seriously has a small chest deep freezer full of gallon bags of peeled pecans all foraged locally.

Plus, most forums that are centered around firearms are very toxic. Our forum here is centered around cooking and is one of the best I've ever encountered online. It would be an amazing place to share this kind of discussion since it has a clear guiding purpose... to eat :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky