Venison Roast Jerky (with lots of pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
First time I have not been out for opening day in 26+ years . Sitting at Barnes hospital while Dads in surgery. Lord willing Sunday might be out. I hunt Pike co and Lincoln. Be safe and kill a big one.

Well I sure hope you guys did better than us. We spent a week with an outfitter and didn’t see a single shooter. My dad didn’t even see a buck. Terrible experience and I won’t ever go through that outfitter (IMB) again. But hey, the jerky and snack sticks were great!

Well I sure hope you guys did better than us. We spent a week with an outfitter and didn’t see a single shooter. My dad didn’t even see a buck. Terrible experience and I won’t ever go through that outfitter (IMB) again. But hey, the jerky and snack sticks were great!
I dont trust outfitters. If you dont show up with a camera crew, you will never be place in best stands . Missouri gun season was late this year falling on the back side of lockdown (peak breading) Nov11-15. Opening weekend report showed 11,000 fewer deer harvest for 2019. What we where seeing was all the mature bucks tending which can make for slow movement. Looks like second weekend of gun season is going to be terribly slow.

Friday and Saturday look pretty awesome for deer hunting here in Boone County, MO. These are the last 2 days we have (with our schedules) to get a trophy buck. Sunday afternoon is enie-menie-minie-DOE time.

We have two shooters on our farm. One 10 point that looks to be about 140"-150" and one 12 pt that is probably 150"-160". We got to watch both for about 20 minutes but had no shots due to thick brush. We have several promising 8 and 9 pt bucks that we have let walk (115"-135" range) that will be awesome next year, if they survive this season. Below is a picture of the 9 at about 100 yards...it was as close as 35 but I was hoping for the 12 to step out of the brush.

My oldest son got a bobcat on Tuesday evening...so he defo won deer hunting on Tuesday!

IMG_5033.jpg

• Love
Reactions: tallbm and 73saint
I used to hunt at the guard grounds just outside of Macon! Lots of turkey up there too.

First day didn't see anything . Second day saw a spike , single Doe , then a pair of Does . Cattle in the back ground so had to let the Does pass .
Monday morning , In the stand about 6 . Birds singin squirrels making a bunch of noise . I'm thinking It's on today . About 7:00 I see an 8 pointer coming across the pasture right at me . You know how they just appear out of no where . Jumps the fence 2 feet from me , walks in front of the ladder and stops for a minute , then walks on . I let him pass , now I'm kicking myself , because I ended up not going this weekend .
I might get a chance to hunt Paris Mo. for black powder . Monster bucks up there , and so many Does it's hard to believe .

First day didn't see anything . Second day saw a spike , single Doe , then a pair of Does . Cattle in the back ground so had to let the Does pass .
Monday morning , In the stand about 6 . Birds singin squirrels making a bunch of noise . I'm thinking It's on today . About 7:00 I see an 8 pointer coming across the pasture right at me . You know how they just appear out of no where . Jumps the fence 2 feet from me , walks in front of the ladder and stops for a minute , then walks on . I let him pass , now I'm kicking myself , because I ended up not going this weekend .
I might get a chance to hunt Paris Mo. for black powder . Monster bucks up there , and so many Does it's hard to believe .

Do you guys have 2 buck counties where 1 of the "bucks" can be a male with an unbranched antler? It's nice to be able to take a spike or a 3 point and still have the good buck tag available :)

Reactions: chopsaw
Not that I know of ,,, but I agree . We have a 4 point rule . Has to have at least 4 points on one side . I see bucks where I hunt that have a " spike " that's 10 inches tall . Any thing over 3 takes your buck tag . Nobody takes them , and they put their DNA back into the herd .

Not that I know of ,,, but I agree . We have a 4 point rule . Has to have at least 4 points on one side . I see bucks where I hunt that have a " spike " that's 10 inches tall . Any thing over 3 takes your buck tag . Nobody takes them , and they put their DNA back into the herd .

Wow very interesting. We can take them in TX if they have an unbranched... and you can take bucks in that county. I believe there are some oddball counties that have no bucks at all and some that are no does at all. The desirable counties are the 2 buck 2 antlerless counties :)
Only 1 buck with an antler spread of 13 inches or greater (outside the ears when alert) can be taken as under 13 inches in spread is not a legal buck unless one antler is unbranched. Translation, you get 1 real buck and 2nd buck has to be unbranched OR you take 2 unbranched bucks.
fuchs.gif

Man I love deer hunting season and all this talk and the food form it!

I am so glad the 4 pt rule is back in Boone County, Missouri. Too many small bucks never got a chance to grow up and become big bucks.

I wonder if the CWD testing will show no findings this season?!

Reactions: chopsaw
Wow very interesting.
Any thing over 3 takes your buck tag .
I said that wrong . Under 3 you can take as an antler less deer . Over 3 is not legal with the 4 point restriction .
We have two tags for rifle . Antler less and any deer .
Legal
Legal buck heads

Does, button bucks and bucks with spikes less than 3 inches are legal to take on Antlerless or Any-Deer Permits; but for deer management, it is better to take does.
Protected
buck head

3-point buck head: protected

Protected deer include all antlered deer (defined as having at least one antler 3 inches or longer) that do not have a minimum of at least four points on one side.

Reactions: tallbm
I am so glad the 4 pt rule is back in Boone County, Missouri. Too many small bucks never got a chance to grow up and become big bucks.

I wonder if the CWD testing will show no findings this season?!
I agree , . We're getting some nice bucks on camera .
We don't have to test yet in Phelps . Hope it stays that way .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky