Venison Roast For Sammies. Need Advice.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

betaboy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 29, 2016
Minnesota
So I was digging in the freezer and found a venison roast, hiding near the bottom from last year. Now, what to do with it?

I was searching around and came across two older posts from Bearcarver.

Rare Roast Beef
Smoked Venison Dried Beef

(Very nice posts by the way Bear!!!!!)

My initial thought was to just do the roast like Bear did with the beef sirloin. Smoke it rare, slice, and freeze in small packages for sammies. But then I seen the dried venison with a cure, and that got me thinking about using cure.

I mainly want to try and make some lunch meat out of this, but what method is the best?

Right now I am leaning to making it like Bear's Rare Roast Beef. Or should cure it with some MTQ to soften it up a bit and then I can just refrigerate it instead of having to freeze in such small batches. Once it's made it will be eaten quite fast I'm sure, so I am wondering if cure would even be necessary, or would it improve texture for this application?

Any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking. I have it thawing in the fridge right now so I'll get some Qview going eventually.

I also wanted to add:

Even though most people seem to use #1 Cure (I'll be using Tender Quick), they cure a roast for 5-10 days. Looking at my MTQ instructions it says a wet brine of 1 cup MTQ per 4 cups water for only 24 hours. I'm just confused here.

Thanks again for any advice.

I also wanted to add:

Even though most people seem to use #1 Cure (I'll be using Tender Quick), they cure a roast for 5-10 days. Looking at my MTQ instructions it says a wet brine of 1 cup MTQ per 4 cups water for only 24 hours. I'm just confused here.

Thanks again for any advice.
I would go with the Venison Dried Beef, and use one of my Step by Steps for the time & amount of cure. Don't believe that 24 hour cure---That would only be for flavor & not curing enough to slow smoke. If you look closer at the MTQ thing that says 24 hours, you'll probably see they then roast it for an hour in a 325°-350° oven.

I would not make a Deer Roast, like my Rare Roast Beef Smoke, but I'm not a great lover of most Deer meat. 

I love Venison Dried Beef and Deerburger mixed with Pork & Beef, but I don't care for plain Deer roasts, smoked or otherwise, mainly because of the foul tasting tallow fat in most deer meat. Very hard to get rid of it all.

Just yell (PM me) if you need help with the TQ curing in my Step by Steps.

Bear

Thanks for the reply Bear!!

Sorry for my late reply. Doctor/medical crap going on and I'm feeling a bit out of it.

Having the roast thawed in the fridge and not knowing what to do at the time I just threw it in the 1 cup TQ to 4 cups water cure/brine on Monday evening and was going to just wing it.

I love venison. I agree with that fat/tallow is awful but I'm a picky S.O.B. when it comes to butchering. I've tasted some other peoples venison before and some of it was so bad I just don't even know what the heck to say about it.
confused.gif

Anyway it's been sitting in the fridge for two days now (turning every day). The roast only weighs 2.15 pounds so I'm not sure how long to leave it. We'll see how this one goes and next time I'll try out your dry cure method and see how it turns out compared to this.

Thanks again!!

My brother-In-law and I smoked a few frozen venison roasts not to long ago and they were awesome. Thawed em, rubbed it with Cajun Foreplay from Dinosaur BBQ, smoked at 250* and brought it to 135* internal and let it rest for an hour. Sliced thin and put it on sammie just like rare roast beef. There was a hint of game to it, but if you're used to eating venison it doesn't matter.  

Where in MN are you located Betaboy? Got any hotspots near the cities for good deals on meat?

- MeatSweat

My brother-In-law and I smoked a few frozen venison roasts not to long ago and they were awesome. Thawed em, rubbed it with Cajun Foreplay from Dinosaur BBQ, smoked at 250* and brought it to 135* internal and let it rest for an hour. Sliced thin and put it on sammie just like rare roast beef. There was a hint of game to it, but if you're used to eating venison it doesn't matter.  

Where in MN are you located Betaboy? Got any hotspots near the cities for good deals on meat?

- MeatSweat
That's what I was thinking of doing, but was debating about freezing small batches and thawing and all that. Will probably give it a shot eventually. No, wild game doesn't bother me at all, unless it's been processed badly.

Pretty much right in the middle of MN, not much help for deals on meat. When I called the nearest meat market/locker and asked if they had any beef plate ribs they didn't know what I was talking about. Soooo...

Well... Life happens and I had to change gears.. Corned Venison coming up. I'm really bummed but I'm sure it will still be good stuff. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Here it is, first slice after sitting in the fridge over night. Pretty tasty even though I didn't get a chance to smoke it. My son loved it but I thought it was a 'tad' salty. Times like this I really wished I had a meat slicer.

Here it is, first slice after sitting in the fridge over night. Pretty tasty even though I didn't get a chance to smoke it. My son loved it but I thought it was a 'tad' salty. Times like this I really wished I had a meat slicer.
Looks Great
drool.gif

I can't taste the extra salt from here!!
icon14.gif

You're right---A slicer is so useful ! 

Slicing Bacon, Dried Beef, all kinds of things that are hard to slice by hand.

I even use it to slice my leftover Prime Rib nice & thin for French Dip and Cheesesteak Sammies!!!

If you add a Vacuum Sealer to that, you have a big Money saving team!!

Bear

Thanks Bear! It was all eaten very fast, my son even took some to school in his lunchbox and didn't share! hehe. I made some sausage this weekend (only a finished pic that I will post when I get a chance) and I was just discussing with the Mrs that a vac sealer would be really nice for the fresh sausages. Hint Hint....

Slicer and Vac is on the X-mas list but I don't know if Santa can give me both!
biggrin.gif

Thanks Bear! It was all eaten very fast, my son even took some to school in his lunchbox and didn't share! hehe. I made some sausage this weekend (only a finished pic that I will post when I get a chance) and I was just discussing with the Mrs that a vac sealer would be really nice for the fresh sausages. Hint Hint....

Slicer and Vac is on the X-mas list but I don't know if Santa can give me both!
biggrin.gif
Sounds Great !!
icon14.gif

Good luck on those Christmas Presents!! 
newyear.gif

They can pay for themselves when you Smoke, Slice, and Freeze.
icon14.gif

Bear

I got myself and wife a Cabela's credit card last year and just treat it as debit card and pay off every month. The more the wife shops, the more Cabela's point I get and the more goodies I get to buy. It's a Win Win for all!  New vac sealer, sausage maker or keep saving for a fish finder...hmmm??

I got myself and wife a Cabela's credit card last year and just treat it as debit card and pay off every month. The more the wife shops, the more Cabela's point I get and the more goodies I get to buy. It's a Win Win for all!  New vac sealer, sausage maker or keep saving for a fish finder...hmmm??
Christmas coming soon---The $50 Cabela's Coupons should be coming soon!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky