Venison Italian Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
made a 25 lb batch of fresh spicy venison Italian sausage over the last few days. This is a recipe I’ve used, and adjusted along the way. Main ingredients were 50/50 venison and pork, with brisket trim and bacon Ends from my home made bacon. I also used fresh garlic, Italian parsley, toasted fennel, anise, coriander & caraway. Also salt, pepper, accent, red wine, and plenty of red pepper flakes and cayenne.

0CB3D7FE-8B05-477D-B447-8A5577DE1443.jpeg
My meat mixture all ready to be ground. I ground it once with the medium plate, and then once again with all of the seasonings with the fine plate.

I didn’t take a lot of pics bc it’s so labor intensive, but I tried a new technique with my garlic. I normally roast it, but this time I baked it, completely covered in bacon grease, for 45 mins in a 350 degree oven. Then I drained the garlic, cooled and added that to the meat mixture. I tasted it alone and it was by far the best, most flavorful garlic I’ve ever tried. Here is a pic when I pulled it from the oven. The house smelled divine.

C12E8CDD-A158-471D-84DA-B4783DB6C9E5.jpeg
I highly recommend trying this if you keep your bacon drippings. Also, now I have garlic infused bacon grease.

9EC3C45B-D8AA-403C-9352-0AACFBADCE5E.jpeg
AA4CFB4B-F1F8-464D-B7F5-6CF0DCB08514.jpeg
I got 19 monster packs all well over 1lb each. Much happier with the links on this go around, a lot more uniformed.

AA4481E1-30D0-4550-B5E7-64D7E6CA49DC.jpeg
Had to grill a few odd ball pieces for the game.

85F8B3CB-9731-4A80-9F5A-1748A151C24E.jpeg
I’m really happy with how this batch came out. Full of flavor, and I finally have a sausage casing with snap. Made the switch to Walton’s casings and I’m glad I did. You get what you pay for.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• E9369928-E030-4881-B971-F504066B6D21.jpeg
    E9369928-E030-4881-B971-F504066B6D21.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 23
Whoa! That looks fantastic. This is a definite to do.
Great idea about the "Baked Bacon Grease Garlic". I am all over that!
Don

Reactions: 73saint
made a 25 lb batch of fresh spicy venison Italian sausage over the last few days. This is a recipe I’ve used, and adjusted along the way. Main ingredients were 50/50 venison and pork, with brisket trim and bacon Ends from my home made bacon. I also used fresh garlic, Italian parsley, toasted fennel, anise, coriander & caraway. Also salt, pepper, accent, red wine, and plenty of red pepper flakes and cayenne.

View attachment 404386
My meat mixture all ready to be ground. I ground it once with the medium plate, and then once again with all of the seasonings with the fine plate.

I didn’t take a lot of pics bc it’s so labor intensive, but I tried a new technique with my garlic. I normally roast it, but this time I baked it, completely covered in bacon grease, for 45 mins in a 350 degree oven. Then I drained the garlic, cooled and added that to the meat mixture. I tasted it alone and it was by far the best, most flavorful garlic I’ve ever tried. Here is a pic when I pulled it from the oven. The house smelled divine.

View attachment 404387
I highly recommend trying this if you keep your bacon drippings. Also, now I have garlic infused bacon grease.

View attachment 404389
View attachment 404390
I got 19 monster packs all well over 1lb each. Much happier with the links on this go around, a lot more uniformed.

View attachment 404391
Had to grill a few odd ball pieces for the game.

View attachment 404392
I’m really happy with how this batch came out. Full of flavor, and I finally have a sausage casing with snap. Made the switch to Walton’s casings and I’m glad I did. You get what you pay for.

Thanks for looking!

Great looking sausages. I love this time of hear with all the hunting and venison food being made!
Keep it up! :)

Reactions: 73saint
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky