Venison Ham rubbed with rendered lard.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Could you describe how you rendered the lard? I did this one year with trimmed fat from some butts. The Lard turned out great but the pot I used was rendered (
smile.gif
)  useless as I couldn't clean it. Thanks for any advice!

I butchered two hogs awhile back. I saved all the fat. I used a big two burner fish cooking pan. Filled the pan full of the fat and slowly let it melt on low heat. Once the pan had enough melted fat, I turned up the heat to around 325. This fried the cracklings. Once the cracklings were crispy, I removed the pan from the heat, removed the cracklings, and let the grease set up. Once it is set up, it is rendered lard.

Some people use an oven, I use my two burner propane cooker. I used a long thermometer that I have for deep frying to determine temperature.

As I described earlier, I used the lard because I didn't have any bacon on hand.

Hope that helped

Jodie

That looks and sounds awesome!  I've been thinking about trying one of these myself.  I've got 4 weekends left to get a deer with my bow.  I have some Maple Ham & Bacon Cure that I bought from sausagemaker.com.  It made some awesome buckboard bacon from a pork roast.  I was thinking about using this along with some honey (I am a beekeeper, so I have plenty of that...) to cure and flavor a deer roast, then smoking it real slow.  I have hickory, pecan, and cherry wood chips.  Still trying to decide which would taste better, or maybe a combination.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky