Venison Ground Jerky( Bloody Mary)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Winterrider

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 29, 2018
North Dakota
5# ground venison
20201026_183424.jpg

Waltons Excalibur Bloody Mary Jerky all mixed up with #1 cure and rolled out in gallon zip lock bags. Into fridge overnight.
20201026_190602.jpg

Cut open Ziploc and laid out on Amazen Mats on racks.
20201027_071652.jpg

Got the Auber PID on the MES 40 set at 200° with tray of cherry dust waiting to go on.
20201027_081818.jpg

200° for 1 hr, no smoke.
Dropped temp to 180° and put cherry dust in mailbox and let it roll.
Couple hrs in, rotated top and bottom shelves.
6 hrs in was to my liking, pulled and let cool.
Cut, then vacuum sealed.
20201027_153742.jpg

Turned out pretty good.
Definitely has some heat to it . . .

couple over my faves! Venison and jerky. Love it! I dont hunt and I moved away from my bro who hooked me up with it all the time.

Looks great . I've heard good things about that mix . Venison makes the best jerky.

Looks great. I dont think I have seen it rolled out and cut like that.

5# ground venison
View attachment 468444
Waltons Excalibur Bloody Mary Jerky all mixed up with #1 cure and rolled out in gallon zip lock bags. Into fridge overnight.View attachment 468445
Cut open Ziploc and laid out on Amazen Mats on racks.
View attachment 468446
Got the Auber PID on the MES 40 set at 200° with tray of cherry dust waiting to go on.
View attachment 468447
200° for 1 hr, no smoke.
Dropped temp to 180° and put cherry dust in mailbox and let it roll.
Couple hrs in, rotated top and bottom shelves.
6 hrs in was to my liking, pulled and let cool.
Cut, then vacuum sealed.
View attachment 468451
Turned out pretty good.
Definitely has some heat to it . . .

That looks great!

I have gone over to the dark side of rolling out the ground jerky instead of using a gun, its so much simpler and faster. However, I have been too chicken to just smoke the whole sheet and cut after but now that I see how well yours came out I think I'll give it a shot.

I had been rolling it out and putting it on the qmats then taking a butter knife and separating into sticks but any of the meat that kinda trailed behind became these jagged point and stabby pieces that were not so friendly on the inside of the mouth hahaha. I am going to try your method next time :)

I have 10 pounds of 100% pure ground venison calling my name to do jerky this way once i can get some spare time to make it happen !!!!

couple over my faves! Venison and jerky. Love it! I dont hunt and I moved away from my bro who hooked me up with it all the time.

We do snack around on it all the time ,hunting, fishing,. etc. Thanks for the like.
Looks great . I've heard good things about that mix . Venison makes the best jerky.
I agree with the venison jerky being #1. Thank you for the like.
Looks great. I dont think I have seen it rolled out and cut like that.
It does work pretty good. About 1# of meat is about all you can do in each bag or gets too thick. A little easier than the Jerky Canon.
Straight venison?
Whitey or Muley?
Straight whitetail. Have another 10# of last season's do do yet.
Appreciate the like!
So, the ground and cured meat from the zipper bags is smoked and then sliced? Unlike a jerky gun that makes strips.
Yes, it stiffens up pretty good overnight. Cut top off bag, place mat over meat and give it a flip. Comes off baggy clean. Smoke as whole sheet. Ends tend to roll up a little bit when cooking, maybe wouldn't if sheets were flipped halfway through.
I do love venison jerky. Looks great.
Gary
Thanks Gary, and for the like.

I am going to try your method next time :)
Give it a try, not a fan of the sharp edges on jerky either.
As stated above, about 1#/bag is about max per bag. I tried pizza cutter, didn't work the best so used meat shears to cut.

kruizer kruizer , very much appreciate the like.

I tried pizza cutter, didn't work the best so used meat shears to cut.
I was just going to recommend a wheeled pizza cutter , but I cut mine in the raw state . Before smoking . I do most of mine whole muscle though .

Freezer clean out in anticipation of a successful hunt?
Got a haunch (roast) that I will try curing.
I've got a few pounds of ground to process into ?.
I will try a batch of jerky. Never been fond of the gun method. Reminded me of the jerky treats one feeds your dog. Not that I tasted, but the shoe leather texture.
Your sheet method is innovative.

When you roll it out, how thick was it, and whats it sitting on , on those racks? some sort of screen material?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky