Venison chorizo sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That is crazy, I just made some chorizo for this exact intended use! Looks killer! Nice job.

I tried one out of various recipes and chili powder is not enough to make it. I didn't know there was a difference between chili powder and red chili powder. Got to try over again with just pound. Now I got 4# in the freezer that might need cayenne added.
From your thread, I actually ended up making some with new mexican red last weekend but have not tasted it yet. That said, it smelled INSANELY good. I also used Mexican oregano which I say is a must for spanish/mexican. Pretty different than store bought oregano which is mediterranean. https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes/chorizo-mexican

I was looking for a different kind of summer sausage flavor but this seasoning is probably what I will stick with as it makes a great summer sausage :)

I like and use Leggs mixes as well. Do not be afraid to tweak it. The Leggs I've had do not have msg in it and in my opinion sausage needs it. Thanks for the lead on the Leggs pepper mix. Sounds good. WRT to trying to nail a style like klobase. I have learned in homebrewing in order to replicate you need to use authentic ingredients. German beer= german ingredients. I took a a quick look and see paprika listed often for klobase. I was turned onto paprika paste by another member here for the use in paprikash and it is NOTHING like Kroger paprika. Might be worth a try.

Reactions: 73saint
That is crazy, I just made some chorizo for this exact intended use! Looks killer! Nice job.

From your thread, I actually ended up making some with new mexican red last weekend but have not tasted it yet. That said, it smelled INSANELY good. I also used Mexican oregano which I say is a must for spanish/mexican. Pretty different than store bought oregano which is mediterranean. https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes/chorizo-mexican

I like and use Leggs mixes as well. Do not be afraid to tweak it. The Leggs I've had do not have msg in it and in my opinion sausage needs it. Thanks for the lead on the Leggs pepper mix. Sounds good. WRT to trying to nail a style like klobase. I have learned in homebrewing in order to replicate you need to use authentic ingredients. German beer= german ingredients. I took a a quick look and see paprika listed often for klobase. I was turned onto paprika paste by another member here for the use in paprikash and it is NOTHING like Kroger paprika. Might be worth a try.

Thanks for the info. The biggest issue I find with attempting Czech Klobase is that I can't get any Czech people that make to give up any info on how to make it hahahaha. They are taking the secrets to making this stuff to the grave unfortunately hahaha

Reactions: zwiller
I ground 15 pounds of pork cushion yesterday . Was looking at Klobase . but haven't mixed it yet .
Mixed 2.2 lbs of reaper sausage . 5 lbs out for breakfast . I have all kinds of seasonings in the pantry , but was interested in the Klobase . Which one did you use that needed help ?

So the recipe online that comes up is incomplete like half the content got cut out.
This web page here seems to be the same recipe but completed haha

I haven't attempted the recipe in the link above, but I did attempt from the "slovak cooking" cooking website back in my early days of sausage making and discovered the hard way that the recipe was incomplete hahaha, i just grilled those guys up and ate em though, no smoking em.

I have also tried a prepared seasoning in my early days of sausage making that I was told "is the exact seasoning and recipe" used by the family in my home town that makes the most amazing Klobase..... I was lied to and I had to easily double up the spice to have any flavor so another set of failures playing with that seasoning hahaha.

Some day i'll get close I hope but as for now the link i posted is the next attempt but i'm kinda put off from trying so who knows when I'll give that recipe a shot :)

So the recipe online that comes up is incomplete like half the content got cut out.
This web page here seems to be the same recipe but completed haha

I haven't attempted the recipe in the link above, but I did attempt from the "slovak cooking" cooking website back in my early days of sausage making and discovered the hard way that the recipe was incomplete hahaha, i just grilled those guys up and ate em though, no smoking em.

I have also tried a prepared seasoning in my early days of sausage making that I was told "is the exact seasoning and recipe" used by the family in my home town that makes the most amazing Klobase..... I was lied to and I had to easily double up the spice to have any flavor so another set of failures playing with that seasoning hahaha.

Some day i'll get close I hope but as for now the link i posted is the next attempt but i'm kinda put off from trying so who knows when I'll give that recipe a shot :)
What you are saying resonates in me. German brewing recipes and techniques are deliberately made crude and/or missing crucial information. I get that. I have some recipes I will never give up. It is somewhat shocking to me when you say you were given a recipe and you had to scale up the spice! I think that is a HUGE hint! That is probably the legit recipe and you just need to properly scale it. IMO people that give out a recipe like that obscure it so that only others who know what they are doing can use it. I could give you my exact formula for a batch of homebrew but you would have to be a very experienced brewer to use it. That is done intently... I wager the recipe you were given was based on 1kg batch and would need to be scaled up 2.2x for pounds. Absolutely no shame in not stuffing and smoking batches until you are happy. I made a round 8 - 1lb batches to dial in one of mine and just made fried patties. Made a spreadsheet to tweak recipe. Learned immensely.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky