Venison baloney?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scarpper

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 6, 2021
Just curious as to what IT you finish your baloney at and how you check it. I did a batch yesterday and the temp varied from one end of the casing to the other. The directions said to pull at 158. I inserted the probe straight in the end, about 3 inches. One end would be 158, the other would be 160-161. I'm assuming it's from not rotating them on the smoker.
Thanks, Mike

152-154 for me. I dont probe at all, fat can cavitate at probe end and give false readings.
I use an instant read or just feel.

IT temps can vary from top, middle to bottom.

Reactions: tallbm and chopsaw
Just curious as to what IT you finish your baloney at and how you check it. I did a batch yesterday and the temp varied from one end of the casing to the other. The directions said to pull at 158. I inserted the probe straight in the end, about 3 inches. One end would be 158, the other would be 160-161. I'm assuming it's from not rotating them on the smoker.
Thanks, Mike
High there and welcome!

yeah I make sure my lowest probe number is about 152F and try not to get over 158F. If they are in that range I'm good.

If you have to worry about micro parasites and going to a higher Internal Temp (IT) then we can talk about that separately.

Any chance you could go into more detail? I'm assuming that the readings would be high. Thanks for replying.
Only the tips of the meat probes measure temp. Leaving the probe in the meat full time the melting fat can cavitate (gather, puddle) at the tip giving false readings.

If you check IT poke from the top, poking the side can leave ugly grease marks on the casing if your close to a fat-out.

Only the tips of the meat probes measure temp. Leaving the probe in the meat full time the melting fat can cavitate (gather, puddle) at the tip giving false readings.

If you check IT poke from the top, poking the side can leave ugly grease marks on the casing if your close to a fat-out.
Thanks, That makes sense.

Thanks for the welcome and reply. I'm not much worried about micro parasites, just want to make sure it's safe to eat, lol.
I guess what I meant to say is I want to get the basics down first before I start on the more technical stuff. Hope that sounds better. I'm new to the sausage making game. Learning lots from this site.
Great place. Thanks.

I guess what I meant to say is I want to get the basics down first before I start on the more technical stuff. Hope that sounds better. I'm new to the sausage making game. Learning lots from this site.
Great place. Thanks.
Everything I know about getting good results from sausage making I learned here .
I put a smiley face on that comment because that was me a few years ago . I'm with ya in your journey . You already got advice from the guy I learned from , so nothing I can add to it .

Time will come when there is no doubt , and you will be advising others . Trust me . Don't get " advice " overload . I watched what some of the guys did and went with it .

Reactions: scarpper and tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky