Vegetarian…

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigfurmn

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Feb 25, 2016
Farmington, MN
Ancient Native American word for bad hunter. But seriously trying to convince my buddy to help me move some stuff so I can get his truck to help haul away the old carpet. Told him I’d cook something for us and his family could cover over later for dinner. Problem is his wife is doing the vegetarian thing. Anything I can smoke that would seem like a dinner to someone who doesn’t want (did I just say that???) brisket or pulled pork? I know this is an odd post for here but something tells me I’ll get some good ideas.

I'm not proud of it, but I smoked some acorn squash once and the members of my family who ate it raved about it.

And I can't stand sweet potatoes, but when I smoke those, it takes me more than a few bites before I remember I can't stand them.

My daughter has been pretending that she's actually a vegetarian for about a year now and I can tell you that some of the plant based meat on the market these days actually tastes ok. Not my thing but hey whatever makes you happy.
Her favorite one that I make are the Beyond brand meatballs smoked with bbq sauce. If you didn't tell anybody what they were I think most people would tell you that they are pretty good. I will say that in my experience the fake meat stuff dries out easy at real meat temps.

She used to eat meat so guessing that’s ok. Trying to think of a main dish I can work with.

An ABT dip minus the sausage and bacon, with veggies in it!

I done this a bit ago and was super tasty! Just an idea…. We had it as dinner and it was filling!

Trying to think of a main dish I can work with.
Cauliflower . Use that in place of the meat . Smoke it whole then slice , or break it up and grill it . I do it as a side veg . It's good .
Olive oil , then BBQ rub .
1653478961257.jpeg

In a grill pan on the gas grill .
1653479029867.jpeg

If she's open to sauce , you could rough chop , then sauce and put it on a bun .
Smoke some tomatoes, peppers and onions and make them a fire roasted salsa
That's another good option for a sandwich . Soak in Italian dressing , then grill it a bit .

We were vegetarians for most of our adult lives & I can tell you that the meat substitutes that are out there today are very tasty & very similar in taste & texture to real meat. We also like to make pizzas with big portobello mushrooms, they grill or smoke real well. Jalapeño poppers are another great option. Heck you might even like the veggie options!
Al

I have nothing for you... except, if he's a good friend maybe ask him what she really likes to eat. Tell him it's important that she enjoys her meal as well. You have gotten many good ideas, but it's still possible you might pick something she just doesn't care for.

Smoked tofu...that gives me the shivers!

Ryan

I was thinking cauliflower smoked and sliced up. I like the veggie ABT thoughts too. I am planning on doing some queso and a meat also.

I'm loving these posts. We meat smokers have a thing about vegetarians and cannot wrap our heads around it. I had an AMAZING meal cooked on a Santa Maria grill over oak coals. The Tomahawk steaks were freaking incredible.

However...

The star of the show were the vegetables cooked directly on those coals. If I were vegetarian I would be completely satisfied and happy if everything were on a Santa Maria. And, one of the best desserts I've ever had was very ripe grilled pineapple. And, just because it's vegetarian, don't write off Impossible Burgers. They are actually really good and I've been with a vegetarian 3 times in restaurants where they ordered them and they attempted to return them to the kitchen because they thought they were real hamburgers. I dared them, too, and thought they were beef, too.

That said, I'm looking forward to making my first dino ribs very soon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky