Value of an Insulated Firebox

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

billiam

Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Durango, CO
I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere but I couldn't find a thread that addressed it.  I am considering the purchase of a Yoder Frontiersman and among the options is an insulated firebox.  The advantages of efficiency and reduced fuel consumption I think are pretty obvious but I wonder if there is a significant difference in these with insulation as opposed to without over the course of a typical cook under typical conditions?  Is any difference more pronounced in cool/cold weather?  Am I missing some other attribute?  The cost difference isn't really of great concern as it's a pretty small consideration compared to the expense of a cooker like this but I can see at least a couple of advantages to sticking with a standard firebox -the least of which is not that the wife LOVES to hover over the toasty firebox in cold weather and I suspect an insulated box will be much less satisfying on the outside!

wife.gif

I really appreciate any insight or experience anyone can share.  Thanks!     

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky