Vacuum sealing and freezing pulled pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JeffD

Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2019
Has anyone ever vacuumed seal their pulled pork and froze it? I’ve tried it but comes out dry. I put the bag in a pot of water and boil it as I was told not to microwave it. Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA

I do it often - it’s sauced a little but not much - and we have a chamber sealer which does a great job -

B3DBC3D2-55FD-443E-A99A-E0D5B56C8A30.png

Reactions: MJB05615
I run into the same problem, dry. Pulled, sliced doesn't matter. I've tried putting some Au Jus inthe vac bag before sealing and freezing. Still the same. Other meats no problem. Roast beef, Brisket, etc. Always better from the frozen than the original.

I do it all the time...never had it dry ... I put it in the pot still frozen, cover it with water and bring it to a boil and let it simmer for a few minutes so it's heated all the way through.

When I smoke a pork shoulder I take it to 203 or 204 degrees IT, wrap it in foil, wrap it in a towel and put it in a cooler for about an hour.. the bone pulls clean out and while there is some fat running through the middle of the shoulder that will never break down.. I "squish" most of the fat into the meat as I am pulling it apart (by hand) and that helps keep the pork moist even when reheating it.

I also add more rub to the meat after it's pulled and mix it all together before serving or packaging.

Reactions: MJB05615
This is how I freeze mine

Juicy every time. Even when microwaved

I do it all the time...never had it dry ... I put it in the pot still frozen, cover it with water and bring it to a boil and let it simmer for a few minutes so it's heated all the way through.

When I smoke a pork shoulder I take it to 203 or 204 degrees IT, wrap it in foil, wrap it in a towel and put it in a cooler for about an hour.. the bone pulls clean out and while there is some fat running through the middle of the shoulder that will never break down.. I "squish" most of the fat into the meat as I am pulling it apart (by hand) and that helps keep the pork moist even when reheating it.

I also add more rub to the meat after it's pulled and mix it all together before serving or packaging.
I literally do everything you mentioned. On the initial cook the PP is fine and juicy, etc. It's the reheated frozen stuff that's dry.

I pull it and save the juices. Not the cooking drippings, just the ones from the rest and pulling. You must rest it. I double foil, then wrap in towel. 45-60 minutes. There is some magic tha happenes during the rest. The meat will continue to cook and soften.
Releasing moisture then reasorbing. I will add some of JJ's finishing sauce, not much maybe 2-3 Tbsp per pound. Vac pack. Reheat in boiling water. Always good and moist.

RG

I give mine a rest for 1-2 hours. Then pull and usually add a mix of frozen apple juice concentrate 4/5 cup and apple cider vinegar 1/5 cup to provide some extra moisture. I stop adding at the point where the meat isn't absorbing the mix. Sometimes it takes about a cup and others take 1/4 of a cup.

I insist on freezing before vac sealing any meat and I always release the vacuum before thawing.
I don't want the juices sucked out of the meat, raw or cooked.
Do a test on two vac sealed portions of the same meat, thaw one under a vac and the other after releasing the vac.
You will see the juices sucked out of the meat in one and not the other.

I insist on freezing before vac sealing any meat and I always release the vacuum before thawing.
I don't want the juices sucked out of the meat, raw or cooked.
Do a test on two vac sealed portions of the same meat, thaw one under a vac and the other after releasing the vac.
You will see the juices sucked out of the meat in one and not the other.
I vac seal PP about once a month and it's always juicy when I reheat. I used to follow C Chasdev method above, but I noticed sometimes a frozen chunk of PP would poke a hole in my bag. What I do know is fill up each bag with 1 lb of PP (makes for good serving sizes for my family of 3 - 8 oz for dad and 4 oz each for the kiddos). Then I put them in the fridge overnight so the fat will thicken up. Then when I actually vacuum seal the bag it doesn't such the juices out.

Reheat by boiling water and tossing in the frozen bag while dropping the heat to simmer. About 30 minutes later the pork is juicy and ready for whatever we're making for supper.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky