Vacuum bagging fermented sauerkraut with chamber sealer?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LanceR

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 1, 2012
Pinnacle, NC
Has anyone used a chamber sealer to bag and refrigerate fermented sauerkraut or similar items?

I'm looking for a way to store already fermented kraut and similar things as canning kills the probiotics and breaks down much of the nutrients.

Thanks

Can't offer any advice on the subject but I'd be interested in the answers, I really would love a chamber sealer.
How's things down south Lance?

Can't offer any advice on the subject but I'd be interested in the answers, I really would love a chamber sealer.
How's things down south Lance?

Great, Dan. We are officially "retired" but both work part time occasionally at the local BSA camp and we work a couple days a week for the Learning for Life character development program for middle and high school kids during the warmer months of the academic year. And I still refurbish and flip welding equipment and food service stuff (mostly the same high end slicers and bowl choppers). Nancy couldn't quit a lifetime of nursing cold turkey so she still does some part time private duty stuff occasionally.

We hike, climb, cook bake and goof off together when we want, work when we need to and we travel some.

We're a half hour north of Winston-Salem. Let me know f you ever come down this way. We have a few extra bedrooms and a great mountain view....

How have you been?

Dave, a jar might be the eventual answer , especially for smaller quantities but I wanted to explore other options a a bunch of bags in a drawer take up less room. Id still keep a jar full in the upstairs fridge though.

And for folks who might be looking for a chamber vacuum sealer deal, I don't see the VP112 on Vacmaster's website are and they seem to have discontinued it. It might be a good time to hunt for a closeout deal....

If saving space is your primary motivation I think you'd be just fine sealing it without using the vacuum function. Theoretically it's shelf stable anyway, so there's no need to worry about the vacuum at all.

I don't vacuum the jars... In the refer they go... I make 1 gallon at a time... 3-4 jars.. From what I understand, it doesn't keep long unless you acidify it.... Kind of pointless in my opinion... so I just eat it and make more...
I would have concerns about some pathogens that didn't die in the ferment... and about any spores... Warm kraut in a sealed vac bag makes me wonder... I'm not in a hurry to try it....

Easier to put in ziplock bags, get as much air as possible out, flatten and freeze. Once frozen, vac pack. I do it with apple sauce, salsa verde and sauerkraut.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky