V shaped fire management basket build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

1ray

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 19, 2014
Garland Tx
To those out there who weld is old bed frames ok to use as frame work for a fire basket? I know certain metals when heated give off toxic gases.

Here are some picks of the progress
2AAE8B67-9F21-4DC1-B30B-1E08D301CF95.jpeg
B6D4B5CB-B501-45FC-B8CA-91CF422A2EE3.jpeg
779CFD45-5D8D-4127-A0FB-92EF29858FD2.jpeg
C187344B-7177-41AF-B343-42422459DF29.jpeg
33A768B7-5B15-4878-B37F-B2E95AA3C507.jpeg

I know a lot of folks have went to these but to me it looks like it significantly reduces the coal bed size. Anyone here using one that can comment?

I know a lot of folks have went to these but to me it looks like it significantly reduces the coal bed size. Anyone here using one that can comment?
The design concentrates the coal bed and fire to the center allowing airflow under, over and to the sides of your fuel allowing a much more efficient and much cleaner burn.
Your fuel will last longer and burn cleaner (less dirty smoke).

That's the engineering principal behind it.

You will have to relearn your pinwheel dampers.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
seenred seenred is building one to go with the offset vertical he's building for me. Of course I youtubed it to death before asking for it.....We'll see how well it works.

Jim

Reactions: seenred
Yep! Here's a pic of the completed V basket. Have not used one of these myself, but the design concept intrigues me.

View attachment 691415

Red
On this model the coals still sit on the floor and the bucket is used to contain the coals? This will help considerably, adding space for airflow under the basket would make a significant difference. The coals will burn evenly across the basket, not just from the sides.

Nice build...the only difference I see is the ones I've used have the base up off the bottom of the cooker several inches.
Here's Langs:

View attachment 691417

If you'll notice, I left the bottom of the basket open - to hopefully accomplish the same thing. It will sit directly on the expanded metal, raised coal grate in the fire box. My thinking is, this'll allow for plenty of air flow under and around the coal bed.

Like so:

img50.jpg

Red

If you'll notice, I left the bottom of the basket open - to hopefully accomplish the same thing. It will sit directly on the expanded metal, raised coal grate in the fire box. My thinking is, this'll allow for plenty of air flow under and around the coal bed.

Like so:

View attachment 691421

Red
That makes more sense now. You can use a poker to slide out the base to load up, or clean up after. I like it.

On this model the coals still sit on the floor and the bucket is used to contain the coals? This will help considerably, adding space for airflow under the basket would make a significant difference. The coals will burn evenly across the basket, not just from the sides.

Hopefully my second pic and the description of leaving the bottom of the basket open answers this...I designed it with a lot of thought about air flow. My hope is that, since the firebox's coal rack is raised, setting the open-bottomed V basket directly on that rack allows for all the air flow needed.

That makes more sense now. You can use a poker to slide out the base to load up, or clean up after. I like it.

Thank you sir!

Reactions: JLeonard
Hopefully my second pic and the description of leaving the bottom of the basket open answers this...I designed it with a lot of thought about air flow. My hope is that, since the firebox's coal rack is raised, setting the open-bottomed V basket directly on that rack allows for all the air flow needed.

Thank you sir!
Yep, solves the problem handily. I probably should have assumed you had this, everything else about the smoker is awesome. And the basket is as well.

Not just kind words the truth!

I am so jealous of that smoker you are building. I just can't have one because I live in a forested protected neighborhood and can't have any flames that could generate a spark.

Thanks again!

I'll bet it's pretty there - I'd love to see the PNW! But a shame you can't cook on stick burners! Are you at least allowed to use enclosed gas or charcoal cookers?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky