V 2.0 new smoker thread.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevinnem

Original poster
Mar 4, 2020
Hey all. I got some really great info on the last thread, .. and basically the result is the inevitable scope creap. at first I was look for a low end pellet smoker, . maybe a set up . I have been re thinking the whole situation now though. It all started with a trip to costco .... Traeger is doing their "road show" right now, and I can get a century 885 for 1400.00 (cnd) .. usually I am told they are about 1800.00(cnd). I read online some people are having issues getting the smoke flavor out of these guys, and it is clearly a big step up $$$ wise, but hey YOLO right? I was told this not only has a blue tooth link that tells you grill temp, and meat temp - but you can also "load" programs, . so when meat hits certain temp it do things, . like turn off , or turn down ect. given the increased budget -- the camp chief 24 wifi cought my attention.

IF I am looking for one in that class, .. say 1400 canadian, what sort of pellet grills should I be looking it. - I find the pit boos ones that have the ablity to "open up " to expose the flame for sear to be an intriguing feature, I can see much self using that alot. We do not have rec tec in canada any more. - other then that, . thoughts, . .is there any pit boos grills that have features worth talking about - or a stand out modle with good price/ performance?

Kevin.

Last edited:
I recently got a Camp Chef SG24 WIFI and am happy with it so far. SG = slide and grill, which is the same feature you're talking about on the Pit Boss to expose the food to direct flame. I haven't really tried the direct flame feature since I use my gas grill for anything I want grilled. I mainly got the SG24 for smoking.

The main thing that swayed me to Camp Chef is the ability to adjust temperature in 5 degree increments. I may or may not need that precise of an adjustment, but if I'm spending as much as I did on a pellet grill, why not have it? I also like the adjustable smoke setting on the Camp Chef.

Just a few things to look at, since you mentioned being interested in the Camp Chef.

Reactions: JLeonard
Like douge I also have the CampChef and in addition to the features he mentioned appreciate the ability to dump the hopper to change pellets and to dump the ash from the firebox so I have a clean firebox every cook.

Reactions: DougE
I too have Camp Chef. XXL and a XT. Both with old style PID controller, which i will be upgrading soon. I don't know what is available in your area or what the budget would be in US dollars but, research and getting one at a promo price is best. A product is only as good as its customer service and warranty. There are a gazillion pellet makers out there and it seems you are able to get a lot more for the money these days.

Reactions: JLeonard
Like douge I also have the CampChef and in addition to the features he mentioned appreciate the ability to dump the hopper to change pellets and to dump the ash from the firebox so I have a clean firebox every cook.
I have owned my Woodwind SG24 since Feb 2019. I like it very much and have done some awesome (to me) cooks with it on beef & pork ribs, brisket, pulled pork, and smoked salmon. However, comma, the firebox cleanout function is nothing more than marketing hype. Pulling the lever to dump the firebox produces MAYBE a quarter cup of ash/unburnt pellets per cook. I usually pull the grates and smoke diffuser plate after 2 or 3 cooks and vacuum at least 2 or more cups of ash from the bottom of cooker.

I do highly recommend their products and their service is top drawer IMHO. And yes, I did have to use their service department on 3 different problems in the first 3 month's of ownership. But their firebox cleanout hype is a joke - based on my own personal experience of using the cooker for over 2 years now. YMMV.

I think the idea is that you have a clean burn pot without having to take the grill apart after each cook just to clean the burn pot. It's a given that some of the ashes are going to blow around and collect in the bottom the grill and need to be manually cleaned out.

I think the idea is that you have a clean burn pot without having to take the grill apart after each cook just to clean the burn pot. It's a given that some of the ashes are going to blow around and collect in the bottom the grill and need to be manually cleaned out.

Exactly

From the CC website:
BETWEEN EACH COOK
For quick cleanup between cookouts, you don’t need to do anything too dramatic. In fact, our patented Ash Cleanout system makes it as simple as pulling a knob. Before you fire up the grill each time, just empty the ash into the cup, and you’re good to go. It’s almost too easy.

If you completely read the owner's manual or dig deep enough on their website, you will find the following.

Owners' Manual:

Every 50 hours of use, remove the grill grates, grease tray, and heat deflector and clean the inside of the grill. If you notice a lot of ash blowing around in the grill it is time to vacuum it out.
And if you don't notice, what then?

HOW TO CLEAN YOUR PELLET GRILL
AFTER 50 HOURS OF COOKING
INTERIOR

1. Safety first! Make sure your grill is totally cool, then unplug it from its power source.
  2. Empty the pellet hopper to prevent your pellets from getting wet or coming into contact with cleaning substances.
  3. Pull the Ash Cleanout knob and empty the ash from the burn cup.
  4. Open the lid and remove the cooking grate, any extra racks, drip tray, and heat diffuser plate from inside the grill. Pay attention to how these pieces are installed (or even take a picture) so you’ll have an easier time reassembling your grill.
  5. Use a wet/dry vacuum with a hose attachment to remove loose ash and debris.
  6. Look for places inside your grill where grease has built up. Use something with a flat edge (a paint stick, pan scraper, etc.) to dislodge and remove it.
  7. Use hot, soapy water and a rag you aren’t attached to wash the interior of your grill, as well as each piece you pulled out.
  8. Repeat the process until most of the grease buildup is gone.
  9. With a rag, rinse thoroughly if you used soapy water and allow everything to dry.
  10. Cover the heat diffuser plate and drip tray with aluminum foil for easier cleaning next time (you can simply throw away and replace the foil rather than scrubbing off the grease).
  11. Allow to dry for at least 24 hours before cooking, and double-check that the hopper has no water in it before reloading pellets.
In my experience, the vacuum should be applied every 2 or 3 cooks or 15 to 20 hours. I have yet to find any significant ash residue in the burn pot after a cook, regardless of cook time, that hinders burn pot ignition or functioning. I do find significant ash build up in the bottom of the grill barrel after at least 2 cooks and use a vacuum way more often than the recommendations. I haven't used the ash cleanout pot in well over a year as I find it entirely unneeded and totally useless. But if y'all think you get some benefit from using it, I'm happy for you.

And again, I really do like my Woodwind SG24 and I do recommend it to my friends who ask. But all things considered and from my own personal experiences with it, I firmly believe the ash cleanout pot is nothing more than useless marketing hype. I wish you nothing but excellent cooking results with your Camp Chef pellet grills. Next up on mine will be 2 racks of pork ribs (along with burgers & dogs) on Father's Day. :emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: DougE
Okay, so after much head scratching , I think I have it narrowed it down to 2 grills the

Pit boss Austin XL

-or the -

Woodwind wifi 24
- i don't really intend to get any of the "side kick attahcments".

How do you all vote? Time for me to make a final choice.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky