1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Uuni-3 Pizza Oven review

Discussion in 'UK Smokers' started by wade, Apr 2, 2017.

1. owen clements

owen clements Newbie

Hey guys I'm totally new to the group :), and joined because of this thread (although I do cold smoking and hot smoking on separate units), anyway thank you all it made for some interesting reading. My Uuni 3 turned up today, I quickly got some wood pellets into it (I use GMG pellets), fired it up to see how it ran, loads of smoke which I thought wouldn't make the pizza great, I decided I need to learn how to master this thing (which is why I'm here).

Wade thanks for your work on different pellets, did you cook on the cheap ones, if so how did the food turn out? And yes the instructions are pants.

Hoping to master this thing, I love wood cooked pizzas!!

2. owen clements

owen clements Newbie

Hey Molove which FB forum are you using, there seems to be a few of them?

Thx

3. molove

molove Smoke Blower

4. owen clements

owen clements Newbie

Brilliant thank you

5. wade

wade Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Hi Owen. No I did not cook on all of the pellet types - there is only so much pizza that someone can eat!! [​IMG]

I must say that when I cooked with the different hardwood pellets though there was not a lot of difference in flavour between pellets. I think the unit probably burns too hot and the pellets burn too efficiently for there to be much of a smoke flavour.

6. wade

Yes, the smoke when you open the door is quite strange. It sometimes produces thin strands of black wispy smoke - almost like you get when burning plastic. It smells fine though and it does not seem to impart any unwanted smells or flavours.

7. molove

molove Smoke Blower

I haven't got round to cooking more practice pizzas using the Uuni 3 burner. As I have to cook pizzas for guests this weekend I decided to revert back to the 2S burner because I know what I'm doing with that.

Annoyingly one of the set screws holding the burner on seized up and sheared off with my efforts to free it. Luckily I don't need the bolt hole for the 2S burner but if I ever want to attach the Uuni 3 burner again or try the gas burner when it eventually gets released I'm going to have to grind the rivnut off and replace it, which is a bit annoying. Darn!

8. JAMES844

JAMES844 Newbie

Hi i'm assuming that if the pelets are just wood and nothing elce then they will be ok. But i am wondering if it is safe to use pine pellets?

9. wade

If you look on the Uuni forum you will see that many are using standard heating pellets - which will contain pine. I have tried the Uuni with a number of different hardwood pellets and, once it is up to temperature, the type of pellets makes little difference. I have also tried it using pine pellets and, although the initial smell is like a construction site bonfire, once the Uuni is up to temperature the taste is not noticable.

• \
    wow! aluminum/aluminium melts at 660.3 C!! that's incredible.

the propane burner is a great upgrade, in my experience. it's a "set and forget" deal, so i can just concentrate on the pizzas. speaking of which, i just got a Metalcraft brand 8" pizza turner (amazon) for about $16 delivered. i plan to try it tonite after work. smoked mozzarella, pulled pork and homemade BBQ sauce on homemade dough. mmmmmmmm . . .

10. wade

Yes it was a very high temperature. It even caused the high temperature sheathing to melt on one of the Type K Thermocouples that I was using with my Raytemp 28 thermometer.

11. Thank you Wade and everyone else for such informative posts. This thread is brilliant! I was thinking of buying my husband - who cooks a lot and loves making pizza - the Ooni 3. After reading all your posts and doing more research, I am wondering whether I should spend the extra £50 and get the new gas-powered Ooni Koda.
    Can anyone tell me why this would not be the best purchase? What advantage, if any, does the pellet-powered one have?
    Thanks very much

12. Thank you Wade and everyone else for such informative posts. This thread is brilliant! I was thinking of buying my husband - who cooks a lot and loves making pizza - the Ooni 3. After reading all your posts and doing more research, I am wondering whether I should spend the extra £50 and get the new gas-powered Ooni Koda.
    Can anyone tell me why this would not be the best purchase? What advantage, if any, does the pellet-powered one have?
    Thanks very much

13. knowing what I know now, if I were about to buy another pizza oven, I would buy the ooni Koda. when using pellets, I had to split my attention between the heat source and the pizza. it might be that I'm not experienced enough. as many folks have said, using the pellets does not seem to add any significant wood taste. since propane is so easy to use, at least for me, I can concentrate on getting the pizza cooked correctly. one thing I noticed about pictures of the Koda is that the flame seems to go evenly all the way across the back. The flames now in my ooni 3 stay in the center. also, with the ooni 3, the gas burner in addition to the basic unit costs more than the Koda. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure some folks have and have published their reviews on the net somewhere. Good luck!

14. Thank you for your response