Utility Trailer rebuild

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wolfmann

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Richmond Texas
I found a good deal on a very used trailer. Well I figured I could improve on the trailer I ended up cutting it down on the rail so it is either to lift stuff on to the trailer. I replaced the U channel since it was bend and replace the coupler. Cut off the wheel wells and made my own from diamond plate. They are a lot more sturdy and look better then the store replacement would have. Rewired the trailer and installed new lights.A lot of grinding of rust and cleaning up and this is the almost finished result The only things missing are the boards and that will happen this week and install the new wheels and rims. I found a great deal on E bay for a set of 4 new rims and wheels. I had to replace the tires anyway and this hole deal was not much more then if I had replaced just the tires locally. Let Me know what you think. This is what I got and what i made of it. http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll319/Domberg/UTrailer/?action=view&current=trailer3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with it let us see how it turns out
usa.gif

That looks like a very good rehab trailer.

I see that you added what looks to be a 2" pipe rail just above the deck rail. Was this to have a place to tie off to or was it intended to strengthen the deck?

I only ask this since on this type of trailer the side rails make a huge difference in torsional strength of the trailer. The pipe rail will help some.

Angle iron has a ton of flex in it, so be careful with a load that may be heavy on one corner or to far to the front. I added a torque tube to my bbq trailer and it takes most all the twist out. I have no need for jacks on the front corners, and my 230 lbs jumping on one corner barely offers movement at the other corner.

Nice find on the tires and wheels. I wish I could find a deal like that but I need 16's and a load range e or f. LOL my trailer is pretty heavy.

Nice work on the fenders.

I added the pipe for 3 reasons. One was to give it some more strengths to the trailer over all and have a place to tie off to. That is also the reason I went in the back of the fender so I do not have to tie to the fender and start bending it out of place. The 3rd reason was to not have to lift the load to high. I had to unload a 1200 pound smoker and had to lift it over the old rail and that is when I thought why is it this high.

Over all the trailer is stiffer then it was before and I just love messing around and come up with my own design. LOL

Hey, I forgot to ask ya what thickness of the fenders is. They look great, did you have someone make the bends on the edge then cut and bend each end and reweld?

The fender is 1/8" diamond plate. What I did I cut 4 pieces. One for the back and then the two side sections and the top. I was able to break the 1.5" lip on the 3 pieces. I also bend the 2 end pieces after I notched the lip and then welded everything up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky