Using propane to fuel my ECB

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

steellord

Original poster
May 25, 2014
Roseville, MI.
So I won a BPS propane fish fryer at a raffle years ago and it got buried in the garage unopened. Well with the forced vacation due to the pandemic I started cleaning the garage and found the cooker and thought how could I use it with my ECB. Here are the pics of my FrankenBrinkmann! I am going to give a it a go tonight and see how it goes. I did a test heat with a pan of water in it and I could get it to a somewhat steady temperature even though it was quite windy today. Wind is supposed to die down tonight and into tomorrow. :emoji_thumbsup:

20200502_153334.jpg 20200502_153342.jpg 20200502_153359.jpg 20200502_152933.jpg

Reactions: fivetricks
Well this was a disappointing experiment. Even though I did smoke a nice pork shoulder using the test set up. It was very labor intensive and the burner from the BPS fish fryer was not precise enough to hold even temps. I spent most of the night adjusting the temp to try and keep it in the target range. Plus the wind made a difference too. I will be going back to using the lower section of a Smoky Joe as a coal pan from now on. But like the wife said at dinner tonight "You don't know if it will work, if you don't try it!" Well I tried it and it wasn't an utter failure, but neither was it a glowing success! LOL

Attachments

• pulled pork.jpg
    pulled pork.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 11
Lots of folks install needle valves for fine tuning temps on those propane burners.

Check out the propane smoker build sub forum for examples of what I'm talking about

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky