Using pellets in my Amazin' dust smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

swamp puppy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Warren, OR
I bought the Amaz-n smoker and use the dust with it.  I like it, but generally have to fight to keep the dust lit for any extended length of time.   Can i use pellets in my existing tray or do i need to buy the "pellet specific" amaze-n smoker?

I mainly use it for cold smoking cheese or bacon in my 30" MES.

SP, morning....  The dust smoker has single walls between the rows..... Pellets burn hotter than dust.... the fire will sometimes jump rows using pellets...    Is your dust dry ?? Nuke it for 30 seconds and try it....  Dry dust is very important for it to work properly...   Dave

YES you can use pellets the Trays  work well with either pellets or dust.Just make sure the pellets  are well lit and don't overfill the rows .

JerryS.

Here are pictures of Todd's smokers.....  The double wall in the pellet smoker keeps the fire from jumping rows....  

The tube smoker may burn dust and pellets but Todd will have to answer that.....   

The single wall was originally designed for dust and the double wall designed for pellets and it will also burn dust....   

12.jpg

FWIW - I have an MES 30, I got so tired of trying to keep the Amaz-n going with dust or pellets I finally drilled a hole on the left wall of the smoker and built a little sliding damper, have not had a problem since.

Without a doubt it's starved for O2 down in the bottom of the MES, lots of fuel, lots of fire to start, needs more air!

I usually run a combo of dust and pellets.

Here is my setup.

Thanks fellas.  Sounds like i should be ok then.  I was also thinking about mixing the dust and pellets, so I am glad to see someone else has tried that as well.  For cheese, I rarely use more than one row of dust anyway, and I doubt pellets would be that much different.

Looks like I am off to order some pellets.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky