Using my Kamado as a smoke source for a cold smoker??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

expat smoker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Really glad to have found this forum for Kamado owners. I firmly believe that if I could have only one cooking device, it would be a Kamado.
My Idea after at least weekly use of my little Acorn kamado for a year now and have cooked every thing from simple BBQs to bread to long slow or short/fast smokes and now I have another use that will take minimal modification.............to use it as an off set smoke source with flexible aluminum ducting to a box to hold my meat/fish etc for smoking. As we Kamado owners all agree, that the Kamado is so versatile and controllable for generating smoke, I think it would be a perfect match.
Has anyone done this before and care to share experience?? or just opinions as to whether it is doable or just another one of my whacky ideas...........
Thanks in advance.................

Get an A-Maz-N tray with pellet dust where you would normally have your charcoal. That's what I use in my WSM for cold smoking. No need for ducting, boxes, etc.

Sorry, but I try to stay away from briquettes and pellets because of the fillers used, but thanks anyway.
Since posting, I now think that I may have the ultimate hot or hot smoker using a coleman camp oven https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000016462-Camp-Oven
and connecting them with aluminum ducting and it seems that if the oven is positioned lower than the fire, it'll be cold, but if raised, then it will be a hot smoker. Could even cover the oven with insulation and have an adjustable vent out on top. All for less than $40.
Howz dat sound??

Sorry, but I try to stay away from briquettes and pellets because of the fillers used, but thanks anyway.
Since posting, I now think that I may have the ultimate hot or hot smoker using a coleman camp oven https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000016462-Camp-Oven
and connecting them with aluminum ducting and it seems that if the oven is positioned lower than the fire, it'll be cold, but if raised, then it will be a hot smoker. Could even cover the oven with insulation and have an adjustable vent out on top. All for less than $40.
Howz dat sound??
The link didn't work. I have the Big Red Akorn and can remove the ash pan and hang the end of the aluminum flex 3" vent pipe from the Akorn charcoal grate and connect the other end to my mailbox mod for the Amnps tray for cold smoking. Todd's pellets from A-maze-n Products are filler free and 100% wood specie on the bag. He also has dust for cooler smoke for the Amnps tray as well. You can get the pellets wet and they'll expand into dust and you can bake it dry.

I will second the recommendation for the amazen tray.

However if you are willing to put up a little more hassle I used to cold smoke on a bge by using the ash box. Clean it out real well and then find some long skinny lump charcoal and long skinny chunks.

Start a fire on one end of both and then load them in to the ash box. Manage the oxygen right and you get nice clean smoke for a good while. You will need to keep an eye on it repeat the process for how long you need to smoke.

This process is inferior in every way to a amazn tray. But it will do if all you have is lump and wood chunks.

Good pellets don’t really have filler to worry about. Not all pellets are equal and the good ones burn very well.

Hi Dave, was hoping that you would 'pipe in' with a suggestion to my old post, but I think I may have solved my problem by biting the bullet and buying a pit boss which should arrive from amazon today.
I started researching and looking around for a side box and couldn't find anything affordable or appropriate then found this Pit Boss Grill 77435 and I'm sure it will do the trick [desired temp 225f] and more.
Problem was that as good as the Acorn was, it was hard to hold the low temps steady.
Thanks for 'piping in' tho.............

Okey dokey Dave, I usually play with both intake and out at roughly the same rates.
Thanks again
Jack

Okey dokey Dave, I usually play with both intake and out at roughly the same rates.
Thanks again
Jack
I set the top and bottom vents to .5 to keep 225. Have everything stacked backwards to quickly assemble every grate etc. After dropping ten lit coals in the center of 15 unlit with chunks/chips scattered. I like that the top vent has numbers to match the bottom vent, some don't.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky