Using Frozen Ground Beef in Summer Sausage?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FFchampMT

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 2, 2020
Montana
Doing a deep dig in our freezer revealed about a 20lb stash of extra hamburger from our farm beef from last year. With another 1/4 beef on the way in February I'm looking for ways to use some of this up.
What about summer sausage?

It's about 90/10 burger and 2x course ground. I'd like to mix with fresh pork butt and some fat back to get to a good 80/20 ratio and have a beef pork blend. Does anyone foresee any issues running thawed year old burger with fresh pork?

I'm thinking I'll run the pork and fat separately through the course plate, put it all in the mixer with the thawed beef, mix with seasoning, and run it all back through with a fine plate and then stuff?

Using Butcher and Packer Summer Sausage Seasoning (I-114), cure #1, and adding ECA and maybe hitemp cheese in a log or 2.
I'm pretty new to sausage making so any help would be appreciated.

Doing a deep dig in our freezer revealed about a 20lb stash of extra hamburger from our farm beef from last year. With another 1/4 beef on the way in February I'm looking for ways to use some of this up.
What about summer sausage?

It's about 90/10 burger and 2x course ground. I'd like to mix with fresh pork butt and some fat back to get to a good 80/20 ratio and have a beef pork blend. Does anyone foresee any issues running thawed year old burger with fresh pork?

I'm thinking I'll run the pork and fat separately through the course plate, put it all in the mixer with the thawed beef, mix with seasoning, and run it all back through with a fine plate and then stuff?

Using Butcher and Packer Summer Sausage Seasoning (I-114), cure #1, and adding ECA and maybe hitemp cheese in a log or 2.
I'm pretty new to sausage making so any help would be appreciated.
I would like to hear about the comparison between the SS with and without the ECA ? See if it makes a big difference or not. Good luck

I would like to hear about the comparison between the SS with and without the ECA ? See if it makes a big difference or not. Good luck

I definitely like a tangy summer sausage. A semi-regional company called Cloverdale does a Tangy Summer sausage that's going to be the yardstick family and friends measure against because it's so popular.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky