Using Cultured Buttermilk Powder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 11, 2007
Cumberland Co. PA
Thought I'd ask you guys that know more about this than I. I want to use CBP to add tang to summer sausage. I'm not going through a fermenting process with it. Reading up on it is giving conflicting info. How much to use per lb. Do I mix & stuff right away? Let hang for 6 hours in frig or at room temp? Let hang in frig for 3 days before smoking? Mix CBP with proper amount of water to let sit for a few hours before mixing in meat? Yes I have used ECA but was looking to see if I'd like this. I don't want to make it to just throw out.
Thanks in advance!

CBP is not a good sub for tang IMO. Very little tang at all. Never used ECA as it does not jive with my workflow. I am ECSTATIC with my ferments. Not hard to do in actuality.

I've used both Saco and fermento when I first started out . Best thing to do is get some and try it . I need to give it another shot now that I understand more about it .

zwiller zwiller I don't know what you're doing to get the tang in your SS , but it's working .

Reactions: zwiller
I would have to look it up but but IIRC I used Saco @ 1% which is alot and I could taste it but was only mildy tangy but obvious milk-ish taste.

chopsaw chopsaw FRM52 + dextrose, 24hr ferment @ 90F. LOVE it.

But in the end its what YOU like, not what others tell you to like.
+1.
X2 on FRM52 for sticks!
Good to know but used it recently in some SS and totally sold. I used your dextrose dosing info and worked well.

Back to original post. Nothing special needed to use CBP. Add to mix and proceed as usual. There is no ferment at all and it's just an ingredient that adds some flavor. Dead serious, fermenting is not hard at all. Oven with light on, bucket with string of xmas lights, sous vide. You can techie and get a $30 controller so temps are accurate.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky