Using Akorn Char-Griller 20" Kamado

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Axegrinder

Original poster
Nov 16, 2019
Brand new to smoking. Using the ceramic displacer. Watched a few YouTube vids and have done a couple of briskets, pork and beef ribs and several chickens. Pretty pleased so far. Using oak natural wood charcoal works really well but recently have been using oak and/or hickory firewood with the coal. When I've done this it is much harder to maintain a steady temperature I have found. I've read it's better to smoke at a higher temp when using wood. So 275 rather then the 225 I used for the brisket. The cool thing (at least I think so) about the Akorn (probably true for all Kamado type smokers) is the economy of fuel. Can smoke for 16+ hours and have coals still unburnt. I never open the thing when doing a brisket. Just adjust dampers to maintain temperature. It's a fantastic excuse to avoid shopping or anything else that takes me out of the house. Also encourages visitors to try my efforts. Sometimes they bring beer.

Here's my question. Is it safe to use wood again after it's black? I know its not the same as the pure charcoal I've bought but I've never thrown it out. I just dump the ashes and reuse whatever is still lumpy enough not to have fallen through the grates under the coals. I haven't so far noticed a problem with taste. The ceramic displacer is black with soot though and I'm worried about getting creosote in the food. I figured it would affect taste if this was the case. I notice nothing but tasty smoke flavor. And, of course, all the spices and marinades I use.

Used to use regular charcoal briquettes and enjoyed cooking steaks and chicken etc. on the old grill but now I've gone wood I can't go back. I can taste the chemicals I never noticed in the briquettes before now. I don't like it.

I re-use partial burned wood all the time.
I also dump my tube on the concrete to save unburned pellets.
I haven't notice the "taste" of charcoal briquettes since dumping the big K and going with Royal Oak.

Reactions: Axegrinder
If you are using lump charcoal give B&B Texas style oak lump or hickory lump a try. It’s all I use anymore. Around me in Ohio it’s avaialble at Ace Hardware stores. Burns hot and clean. Nice big lumps with very few fines and never any construction or furniture scrap in it.

Reactions: Axegrinder
If you are using lump charcoal give B&B Texas style oak lump or hickory lump a try. It’s all I use anymore. Around me in Ohio it’s avaialble at Ace Hardware stores. Burns hot and clean. Nice big lumps with very few fines and never any construction or furniture scrap in it.
Thanks for the replies. I suppose I'm not hurting anything by doing this then. I'll just need to add fresh wood because the burnt wood probably won't smoke as well. Like I said above I do have trouble keeping a low temperature using the wood. Using just the lump charcoal seems easier to maintain.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky