Using a finishing sauce.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mls

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
I just finished smoking and pulling 16 Boston Butts and it has been a long day.  I was gong to put on Jeff's finishing sauce but when we started pulling I realized we didn't have all the ingredients we needed.  We went ahead and pulld them but it is midnight and all the stores are closed.

My question, does the finishing sauce work just as well if the pork is cold instead of warm.  Tomorrow we will vacum pack the pork into 2 1/2 lb packages but it will be cold since we now have it in the fridge.  I can go get the ingredients we are missing in the morning but I wondered how it will work on cold pork.  Thanks a lot.

MLS

Never did it that way, but I don't see a problem with it other than it may be a little hard to toss, since it tends to clump together when cold. Let us know how it works out.

I'm with Al on this one but another thing i have seen many folks do is when the pulled pork is reheated have the finish sauce in plastic squeeze bottles and apply it as it is served. Or during the end of the reheating process if it is all receiving finish sauce.

Are you talking about finishing sauce like Jeff's BBQ sauce or finishing sauce like a vinegar based sauce you squirt over your pulled pork?
I'm talking about the Vinegar based, not the BBQ sauce.  The BBQ sauce is put on when we serve it.  We operate a couple of concession trailers and serve pulled pork sandwiches.  I smoke it up ahead of time and vacum pack it in 2.5 lbs pks and freeze it.  We then put it in counter top warmers when we get to the events.  Since we didn't get the vinegar based finishing sauce on it last night while it was warm I think it may work better to wait till we reheat it as someone sggested.

MLS

The vinegar can turn the meat to mush if it's on it too long because of the acid in it in my opinion so I apply it just prior to reheating

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky