Using 73/27 beef for snack sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnnyb54

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 16, 2015
I can get a good deal on 73/27 beef. Normally I use 80/20 beef for snack sticks. Would using the 73/27 for snack sticks result in snack stick that’s too fatty? Thanks.

Probably too fatty... Fat has a tendency to sour... I personally use 90/10... Costs a bit more but if you overheat it in the smoker, the fat doesn't "fat-out"... I think it has a better texture also...
If you get a chance, order some STPP to add to the sticks.. It keeps them moist.. you only use ~0.4% based on the weight of the meat... Amazon is where I get it..

STPP1.jpg

STPP2.jpg

I've never done sausage that fatty but I have done ground jerky sticks with 88/12 and it is still way more fatty than I like. It is serviceable but you have to wipe the jerky down a bit from the fat-sweat that it produces.

I would imagine that if you may have a little fattier then you may enjoy but who knows until you try. I just wouldn't test with a real large batch :)

I've never done sausage that fatty but I have done ground jerky sticks with 88/12 and it is still way more fatty than I like. It is serviceable but you have to wipe the jerky down a bit from the fat-sweat that it produces.

I would imagine that if you may have a little fattier then you may enjoy but who knows until you try. I just wouldn't test with a real large batch :)

TallBM thanks, I usually add Soy Protein to my sausage but I will definitely look into your recommendation.

Soy protein and NFDM are other alternatives to phosphate binders. There are several brands of commercial phosphates available. STPP is one, Butcher & Packer #414 and AmesPhos are others. There are also carrot based binders available at most of the larger sausage supply web pages as well. I'm a huge fan of phosphates in ground meats. I've used B&P #414 and AmesPhos. IMO it makes a huge difference in the quality of summer sausage, snack sticks, even hamburgers!!! Just don't over do it as a little goes a long way. If I used a phosphate binder and the original recipe called for Soy or NFDM, I just add the correct amount of phosphate and omit the other binder unless there is some flavor component it brings to the party (usually not).

If you mix your meat and spices the night before and let them blend in the fridge overnight, you will probably have to add a little more liquid the next day to loosen up the mix. Phosphate binders are just that "BINDERS". Don't worry, there is still enough action left to bind up the extra liquid during the smoke. Otherwise it's dang near impossible to stuff snack sticks. In my experience, binders work best if added and let sit like the example above.

If you have not tried phosphate binders, the results are worth it. A $10 investment in a 1 pound bag will last most people years. And don't worry, phosphates are natural and not some weird franken-food chemical.

Soy protein and NFDM are other alternatives to phosphate binders. There are several brands of commercial phosphates available. STPP is one, Butcher & Packer #414 and AmesPhos are others. There are also carrot based binders available at most of the larger sausage supply web pages as well. I'm a huge fan of phosphates in ground meats. I've used B&P #414 and AmesPhos. IMO it makes a huge difference in the quality of summer sausage, snack sticks, even hamburgers!!! Just don't over do it as a little goes a long way. If I used a phosphate binder and the original recipe called for Soy or NFDM, I just add the correct amount of phosphate and omit the other binder unless there is some flavor component it brings to the party (usually not).

If you mix your meat and spices the night before and let them blend in the fridge overnight, you will probably have to add a little more liquid the next day to loosen up the mix. Phosphate binders are just that "BINDERS". Don't worry, there is still enough action left to bind up the extra liquid during the smoke. Otherwise it's dang near impossible to stuff snack sticks. In my experience, binders work best if added and let sit like the example above.

If you have not tried phosphate binders, the results are worth it. A $10 investment in a 1 pound bag will last most people years. And don't worry, phosphates are natural and not some weird franken-food chemical.

Dwarf51, I looked on he Butcher & Packer website and saw #414. It calls for 2 oz. for 25 lbs. of meat. I converted lbs. to grams and oz. to grams and came out with 200 grams per lb. of meat. Is this the amount you use when making your sausage? Also do you add #414 along with the spices and cure #1 to the meat and let blend overnight?

Yep... That's 0.5% addition... that's the recommended amount of STPP to add.. NO MORE than that... somewhere it notes it can add a funky flavor to the meat..

It calls for 2 oz. for 25 lbs. of meat. I converted lbs. to grams and oz. to grams and came out with 200 grams per lb. of meat
Oh well I guess I need some remedial math. That should be 2.27 grams or .08 oz. per lb. of meat.

I was just picking myself up off the floor after reading 200grams per pound when I say your 2nd post. Yes, 2.27grams per pound is correct. I sometimes use a little less than that, but I have never noticed any odd flavor from it, at least with the B&P 414. One thing you will notice is your sticks will not shrink and shrivel as much in the collagen casings. They tend to stay fuller as more of the moisture and fats are bound in the mixture.

Here are some from my last batch which used 2.27 grams per pound. Note on the cut end the smoothness of the texture. This meat was not emulsified and was hand mixed. The binder did it's job, and the mouth feel is excellent. I've got like 3 sticks from this batch left and will be making more soon (I made these in October and had been sidelined due to surgery over the holidays).

1onCiQ6.jpg

Here are some from my last batch which used 2.27 grams per pound. Note on the cut end the smoothness of the texture. This meat was not emulsified and was hand mixed. The binder did it's job, and the mouth feel is excellent. I've got like 3 sticks from this batch left and will be making more soon (I made these in October and had been sidelined due to surgery over the holidays).

1onCiQ6.jpg
Nice looking sticks!

Probably too fatty... Fat has a tendency to sour... I personally use 90/10... Costs a bit more but if you overheat it in the smoker, the fat doesn't "fat-out"... I think it has a better texture also...
If you get a chance, order some STPP to add to the sticks.. It keeps them moist.. you only use ~0.4% based on the weight of the meat... Amazon is where I get it..

View attachment 353589

View attachment 353590

Daveomak, Thanks for the info on the Pure Sodium Tripolyphosphate. I have an issue with any additive that has reviews and questions about using it in laundry and getting my whites whiter.

I use it all the time. I actually spoke to a local butcher and he said they typically go 75/25 for their sticks to I figured this was close enough. I typically use a LEM mix and add a half pound of cheese. The sticks never last long as my family and friends love them.

2 oz. per 25#'s... 28.35 x 2= 56.7 grams in 2 oz...
25#'s x 454 = 11,350 grams
56.7 / 11,350 x 100 = 0.4996 % addition of #414

Using the Best Fat to Lean Ratio In Making Sausage
and most recommend at least 70/30

I thought you wanted to make beef snack sticks.... a semi-dried product that can be shelf stable, without refrigeration..
I didn't realize sausage and beef snack sticks were in the same category...
I think you have confused sausage and beef snack sticks.... Anywho... have fun..... I hope your 70/30--60/40 sticks don't sour and go rancid while sitting on the shelf....

I used the higher fat content 1 time . Never again . Still in the freezer . I just need to throw them out . Mouth feel is off , and after thawed they don't take long to get nasty . I'm not new to doing this either ,,, but hey , they look good .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky