Used Backwoods Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrdsmoker

Original poster
Feb 10, 2024
Hey Guys,

Going to look at a 12 year old Backwoods Smoker, looks like a chubby G1 or G2. It will definitely need a little tlc. Price is $500. What do you guys think?!

Attachments

• IMG_4603.jpeg
    IMG_4603.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4602.jpeg
    IMG_4602.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4601.jpeg
    IMG_4601.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4600.jpeg
    IMG_4600.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 24
To me that looks like a lot of cleanup needed for spending $500 for a 12 year old smoker. What do new ones go for? Might be more but a better investment if they last that long!

To me that looks like a lot of cleanup needed for spending $500 for a 12 year old smoker. What do new ones go for? Might be more but a better investment if they last that long!
New ones go for $1600. I’m more so leaning with your way of thinking . 12 years is a long time.

It looks like surface rust which should be easy to correct. I'd make sure of that though. You don't want to get into metal work at the asking price. Do they have more than 1 rack? If it's a G2 , surface rust and they have the racks that came with it I'd say it's a good buy although I'd offer $400 (around $1600 new) . If it's a regular Chubby they are only around $700 new. I wouldn't pay a penny over $300 -$350 tops. Again only if it's surface rust and they have the racks.

For $300 I'd take a gamble, $500 - nope.

It looks about the same size as a G3.
You get a brand spanking new G3 for a $1000-$1200.

It looks like surface rust which should be easy to correct. I'd make sure of that though. You don't want to get into metal work at the asking price. Do they have more than 1 rack? If it's a G2 , surface rust and they have the racks that came with it I'd say it's a good buy although I'd offer $400 (around $1600 new) . If it's a regular Chubby they are only around $700 new. I wouldn't pay a penny over $300 -$350 tops. Again only if it's surface rust and they have the racks.
I definitely want to do a good inspection on it when i see it. The extra racks and original water pan with come with it. Based on the Sticker and model number I think it’s the original chubby. At first the owner had it listed at $1000. If it’s just a little elbow grease I’m ok with that but a full restoration project I think I’ll pass.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky