Use of briquets or lump charcoal in electric smokers?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jaybird1103

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 12, 2013
I was wondering if charcoal briquets or lump charcoal can be used in electric smokers along with the smoking wood? I know they can't in the Brinkmann Electric Smoker because they use lava rock, but can they be used in smokers like the MES, Smoky Mountain Series by Landmann, or Char-Broil Electric Smokers?

Smokin tex recommends putting a little charcoal in the box if you want a smoke ring on your brisket because it contains nitrates, which create the pinkish color. I think they're referring to lump, Never tried it. I just use very small amounts of wood chunks or chips in my 1400.

Someone more knowledgeable will help out, I'm sure.

ralphed

I started using a briquet or two in my Smokin-It # 3 and noticed a difference in flavor that I enjoy. I never really noticed the ring showing up, but it does impart the charcoal flavor that I love. I use it on all meat now, I do not use it for cheese though.

I see this is nearly a year old post.  So Ralphed did you try the charcoal ?

I have a 1400 and am doing a brisket tomorrow. Because of the filler and additives in kingsford and such, I am guessing that they mean to use lump. I have a bag of royal oak lump going to try it tomorrow.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky