Upright Smoker Advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TBJOE

Original poster
Nov 15, 2018
Rochester MN
Looking to add an uptight smoker to the arsenal. What I am really looking for is something to get started with for making bacon, smoking sausages, etc. Will probably only use it a couple of times a year when we get our hogs/beef as the normal smoking will be done on the offset. So not looking to spend a lot, but also want decent quality. Have started looking at the Masterbuilt and Pit Boss. Have been leaning towards the electric version since they seem to have a lower temp range than the gas or pellet versions. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome to the site. In my mind electric all the way due to temp control, I have had a Masterbuilt for years without any problems , a pellet and propane will run a lot hotter than you need imo,

A Masterbuilt electric is a good option but really does best if you mod it with a Mailbox. If you plan on keeping for a long time, would look for a used Cookshack, Smokin-IT or Smokin Tex. They won't require any mods for good smoke flavor.

I have 2 Masterbuilt electric smokers. I use the MES 40 most of the time and with a smoke box you can't beat them. Easy to fix if they break too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky